Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Student Finance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Hi peeps, I have a question if anybody can help. Student finance are confusing the hell outta me! This year I am being assessed as an independant student because of the home situation, my support worker sent in a letter a while ago supporting this and explaining the situation.

Only problem is they need to assess MY household income, but I don't have one as I'm unemployed and homeless, and they do know this. When I received my financial notification letter I noticed they haven't assessed me for a grant, which means I will be receiving half of what I got last year, which isn't even enough to pay rent.

I just rang them and they asked me to fill in a form again and send in some evidence of household income. My question is what can I send as evidence?! They already have proof from my support worker so they know my situation but they need some sort of financial evidence. I did ask the guy on the phone but he wasn't very helpful, he said they need to see evidence of finances, but I don't have an income! I will be living in student accommodation this year if this gets sorted!

I'm so confused :crazyeyes
Please help if you can :D
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you are an independent student then it is your income that is assessed for your student loans, not the income of your parent or guardian. Therefore to assess you they need to see proof of your income. YOu are an independent student if you are estranged from your parent or guardian(s).

If you are receiving any benefits you can send the benefit decision letter as proof of your income. If you're not receiving benefit, you'll need to get your support worker to explain where you are living and what you are living on- whether this is charity donations, hardship funds, whatever, and send that with bank statements. And be prepared for SFE to not quite grasp it- they have concocted a figure of £7500pa income as necessary to be an independent student, a figure they've just plucked out of their arse, and this is often quoted. If your income is nil then you are entitled to the full loan and grant; depending on your situation this may be the special support grant rather than the maintenance grant.

If you really get stuck PM me with your customer reference number and I will make enquiries for you.
    Thanks :) I don't recieve benefits so have no evidence of that, but have wrote them a letter and will send some bank statements with it and hopefully they should be able to sort it out. The guy I spoke to on the phone seemed a bit confused and told me to fill in part of the form I have already filled in which asks about money and savings etc, but I can't really fill it in, because I have no money to tell them about!, very confusing but will see what they reply with.
    Thanks again :)
    You don't need to prove your income as an independent student - providing you completed all the sections re independent status etc they should be automatically assessing you for the grant.

Phone them again and speak to a supervisor if they don't sort it out. I know someone who's independent and he's had problems every year getting them to carry over the evidence from previous years, seems they need prompted to do something so basic because their system is totally shite.
    It's actually not quite as simple as that and, with all due respect, it is my job to know these things

An independent student under the age of 25 usually has to show that they have supported themselves out of their income for the past three years, and SFE often ask all students to provide this information. They don't necessarily legally need this information, but good luck trying to tell them that. It's quicker to give them the information.

All indepedent students are assessed on their 'residual income' and this affects the amount of loan and grant they receive. Remuneration for paid work during the academic year is disregarded but some other types of income are not disregarded and they do need to see evidence of this.
    It is as simple as that if you're single and don't have children, if the letter from the support worker confirms no contact with parents she should get max grants and loans providing the form is filled in correctly. I had an application approved by SFE last year with nothing but the form, ID and a letter from an academic before they retrospectively deemed me ineligible because of a residence issue. But I proved independence no problem after speaking to a supervisor with no financial documents required - the only obstacle is getting a very specific letter from someone they'll consider acceptable.
    When I rang up they did say I would need to provide evidence, because usually independant students have jobs and their own houses etc, I did fill in the form properly but because obviously my income is zero, they took it as me not wanting to give them financial evidence. So I have sent them a letter along with a few bank statements which proves I'm not a secret millionaire. Just hope it's enough to convince them, so just have to wait for a reply and if not I will be ringing up and telling them to get a move on :d.
    It should be enough if your support worker is someone who knows you and is managing your welfare. As I say, if not PM me with your CRN and I'll see what I can do.

Spliffie, if you got that far you've done a hell of a lot better than my clients and those of my 500+ colleagues in student finance advice...
    Stressing out now, just rang them again and because the letter wasn't dated from the support worker they can't accept it, and I'm not in touch with the support worker anymore and my case with her has been closed so there is no file for me on her system because they don't keep them.
    Why can't they just make it simple!! :crazyeyes
    It should be enough if your support worker is someone who knows you and is managing your welfare. As I say, if not PM me with your CRN and I'll see what I can do.

Spliffie, if you got that far you've done a hell of a lot better than my clients and those of my 500+ colleagues in student finance advice...

I spoke to them and sent what was specified. Piss easy.