Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Convincing my parents to let me study!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm doing my A levels at school this year, and they're very important to me as I want to do medicine at uni. I didn't get amazing results in my GCSEs so I really need to do the best I possibly can in my A levels in order to boost my application.
Also, because medicine is so competitive I really have to do other activities after school and outside school. So, this leaves very limited amount of time in the day to actually study. My science courses are killer and I really should be studying every night. However, it's only 2 weeks into school and I'm already falling behind in my class.
Basically, my parents put studying at the bottom of daily priorities, whether I do or not. They care more about me doing chores.
For example, earlier this year I had my technology GCSE exam in the afternoon, so I was going to get up early to go over the notes one last time, and then go into school. Instead, my mother made me clean. All day.
I was very nearly late for my exam, due to my mother not letting me leave until the hoovering was done, and went into the exam without looking at my notes that day at all. of course, that was one of the ones that I didn't do so well in.
This happens nearly every day, and I'm losing track of homework and study time because of it. I've cut down on the after-school activities I do, and now only do one thing on a friday. But still household chores seem to be more important. I'm really at the end of my tether with it and despite trying to talk to them numerous times, they just don't care. The worst thing is that they are disappointed when I do badly, even though it's their fault! My school is useless and wont believe me about my situation at home. Does anyone know how I can get my parents to listen to me?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You have to tell them that your going to do what you need to do regardless, and stick to doing what it is that you need to do to achieve the grades you want without compromise.

If these problems most often occur in the evening, why go to the local library instead of going home? There you'll have at least a few hours to study in a quiet environment with resources that might help you.

You can't let stupid people stand in the way of your aspirations, even if they are your parents.
    Your parents sound mad! Explain to them in no uncertain terms they're messing up your education and if they want you to do well, they have back off with the chores. If that doesn't work, refuse to do anything other than study, lock your door, put some headphones on and get the textbooks out.
    I think going to the library is a great idea.
    How much housework are you expected to do?

Perhaps write out a list of the things you do, and the time it takes yout o do them and pin the list to the fridge so that your parents can see how much you do.
    I understand that you have to do your share of the housework, but I don't think it's right that your parents are prioritising it over your studies. Do they do any of the housework themselves?
    maybe ask her to give you a list of chores that need to be done each day and try and fit them around your studies, so maybe if she likes you to hoover in the morning for instance, try and quickly go round with the hoover a bit earlier rather than as you need to rush out the door.
    Also maybe a timetable for your study, and plan your time more effectively.
    People manage to study and work and do housework on their own, so as a family, you should be able to manage doing some chores and studying too. Maybe sit down with her to try and work out a solution, but without it looking like youre trying to get out of helping round the house
    Thanks for the advice, and yes they are mad!
    My stepdad and sister literally do nothing, which is the most infuriating bit. My mum does the cooking but that's about it. Which also pisses me off -_-
    Just to reference it, here's what I'd be expected to do on an average day if I'm not at school, although I pretty much have to do most of it if I am:
    Hoovering, wash the floors, do the dishes, clean/feed hamsters, feed cats, tidy bedroom, clean the bathroom, clean the kitchen, dusting, tidy living room.
    Unfortunately I can't lock my door, they took the bolt-thing out of the handle so it doesn't even close shut properly.
    I think I'll take your advice on the time list, to put things into proportion, as that might help.
    I've started going to the local library after school any day that I can, so I get an hour or so of peace now as well.
    Guess it'll just take time to get them to come round!
    does sound like they really need to delegate more amongst everyone.
    Tell your mother you aren't doing that many chores when everyone else (including herself?) does nothing compared to you? Can't believe you had to clean on your exam day, that's ridiculous.