Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Maps for going out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
In the old days everyone in London used an A to Z to go about, or a provincial town map, or ask a friend if not strangers you find in the street

Has all this been made redundant by accurate street finders on internet map sites

Who still leaves the house in London on a trip carrying a traditional paperback A to Z?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I take my A-Z most of the time when going out in London. Don't know the area well enough to pick sensible tube stations to get to places and the like.

The thing that gets closest to making my A-Z redundant are the awesome map posts that are scattered all over central london now.
    I lived in London for 6 years, and still took my A to Z when I went somewhere unfamiliar.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I lived in London for 6 years, and still took my A to Z when I went somewhere unfamiliar.

My residence in London spans 19 years and still need A to Z too. Sometimes take a one page print out from internet Streetmap though
    Don't know the area well enough to pick sensible tube stations to get to places and the like.

Remember those pocket tube maps- they were handy
    What's this A-Z?
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    Remember those pocket tube maps- they were handy

No, not a pocket tube map - an A-Z.

Pocket tube maps are absolutely no use for working out which tube station you want to go to, just how to get there.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    What's this A-Z?

An antiquated pre-computer necessity
    I used A-Z maps until google maps on my phone. Now I use that (although will sometimes take print outs in case I lose signal)
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I stopped using maps as soon as Google Maps was on my phone.

AR: In latest version of Google Maps you can even take maps offline now.
    I dont have a map and if im going somewhere new i look up directions on google and write stuff down. I really should get a map for my car at least
    JsT wrote: »

I'll have to look at that, but I do only have a basic smartphone.
    Even before I had a smartphone I've never used maps... but I suppose I didn't live in London which is horrifically complex. Pretty much just explored everywhere on foot and got a feel for it.
    There is a burlesque map of London, which shows where all the burlesque related stuff is in London. Costs about £3.

I don't leave the house without a map when going somewhere in the car, because I find there are plenty of places up in the wolds/downs/valleys/forest/levels/plains etc that don't show up on sat nav or sometimes even google maps.
    Google maps led me astray in Durham (bloody 'accurate to 1300m' accompanied by lack of visible street signs).

Next time won't forget the print out.
    I use my A-Z when in London.
    JsT wrote: »
    I stopped using maps as soon as Google Maps was on my phone.

21st century- you've moved on :)
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    I dont have a map and if im going somewhere new i look up directions on google and write stuff down. I really should get a map for my car at least

my brother still keeps an A to Z in his car
    Melian wrote: »
    I use my A-Z when in London.

Of course, there is A to Z for Birmingham, for Leicester, for Bath etc. WH Smith stores in London used to sell loads