Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Need help with my tragus piercing!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I got my tragus pierced 4 days ago and I've cleaned it 3 times a day with salt water. I was told I can use table salt but I don't know if that is correct? When I clean it I can feel it stinging a little and I don't know if that is normal? I don't think I've slept on it as I hardly move in my sleep and there is no sign of an obvious infection or tearing. It's my first tragus piercing and I love it so I really want to look after it. Any help or advice would be great! Thanks :')

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey, I have many piercings. I got told to clean mine with salt water, i used table salt and they were fine. It just stings a bit because it's new, it should get better within a few weeks.

Hope this helps :)
    I got my tragus done just over a week ago and was told to clean it with tea tree oil drops which I have been doing. It only stings if I nudge it a bit too much when I give it a proper clean, but no major problems so far. As long as it isn't massively painful or swollen don't worry, but even if it does get infected DON'T TAKE IT OUT because the jewelry keeps the wound open and allows all the gunk and therefore infection to drain out.
    thank you :')
    I've got 9 piercings, and I've tried everything from sterilising solution to antibacterial (med-grade i will add) soap, tea tree, salt water etc.

Just for reference this is what I've been told to do:

Navel, genitals, nipples, and surface piercings - for first 2 weeks bathe with salt water 2 times a day (using a clean egg cup), then use med grade anti-bacterial soap once a day and 1 salt bathe for the next 6 weeks. it may need a further 2 weeks, but use your disgression.

Oral piercings - mouth wash twice a day (with warm salt water) and bathe exterior part twice a day for at least 6 weeks.

Ear piercings - salt bathe twice a day for at least 6 weeks, do not turn for the first 2 weeks, and then very gentlely

Benzalkonium Chloride - do not use
    Anything with alcohol - do not use
    bathe - means for at least 5 mins, if you can't bathe it use gauze and keep it on there for 5 mins

do not pick, touch or do anything to it uneedingly.

With stretchings - remember to use an oil on them after cleaning. Almond oil is a good place to start.
    Also remember that you don't need alot of salt when mixing with warm water.
    Miss_Riot wrote: »

Oral piercings - mouth wash twice a day (with warm salt water) and bathe exterior part twice a day for at least 6 weeks.

Anything with alcohol - do not use

Wish someone had given me this advice when having my tongue pierced instead of telling me to use Listerine multiple times a day...