Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Smelly

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey there.

Basically, despite my hygiene being what I would consider decent (shower once or twice a day, depending on what I've done), brushing twice a day, chewing gum and wearing clean clothes... I have this embarressing problem and I've no idea what to do really.

I didn't used to be like this... it's probably the past two years? A few hours after a shower, even with deodorant etc., I start to smell. I was told by my ex I smelt 'fine' but I honestly suspect she was being nice. It's not a pleasant smell though, it's like sweat combined with fish. I feel like my pits smell, my breath smells, my groin smells (bad), its pissing me off. The only way I smell fresh is in the 60 minutes or so after a shower. I sweat quite a lot too.

Ex was extremely hesitant to go 'down there' and would only do so if I had showered absolutely immediately before. I completely understand that, I wouldn't want to grimace either. But why if I shower at say 2pm am I so bad at 5pm? :/

Any tips would be useful. I'm not overweight, actually quite fit, BMI is just above 25 but I've put on a fair bit of muscle in the last 12 months so thats probably why.

Comments

• Options
    are you sure its fishy and not yeasty? because if its yeasty you might have candida (thrush) somewhere on your skin.

you can get it anywhere, even on the brain, but eating certain things, like garlic, yogurt, and grapefruit can help.

If not it could be something you're eating, a reaction to your washing powder/liquid, soap, or deoderant. It could be a hyperactive thyroid, it could be an infection, but it would be more likely to be a metalic smell if that were the case. There is actually a disorder that gives people a fishy odor called Trimethylaminuria, which can be treated with antibiotics and diet.

Might be worth using a antibacterial shower gel, and if that doesn't work go to the dr.
  • Options
    Thanks Miss_Riot, that's very useful and informative :). I'm not sure if it's yeasty, I mean nobody has ever mentioned it to me but I worry people are too polite. I can certainly tell a few hours after I've showered that it's there. I've also had very stinky feet though I'm inclined to believe from something I read on the internet that it's because I wear the same trainers every day - apparently doing so causes the bacteria to build up so one should change shoes as and when possible... and change socks at least once a day... (I didn't know this!)
  • Options
    Simple thing I've found helps is using talc after a shower to properly dry my armpits.
  • Options
    I would think if you were really smelling of fish, someone would have said something to you, even if as sensitively as possible. When I read 'fishy' I thought of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimethylaminuria but I actually think you might just be worrying about things too much (I'm basing that on you recently going through a break up, which can make you stress about other stuff).
  • Options
    you've probably upset your body flora by washing too much
  • Options
    I'd go with the wash less option too. I've had the same problems at you in the past, I still have over perspiration, not much I can do about that, but I don't smell all day when I've not washed so often [but if I do everyday, which is usually the case, I use very sensitive and chemical free products]. I do carry a small spray with me if I'm feeling paranoid though on specially hot days.
  • Options
    If you wash too much your body produces more oil and sweat to restore the balance. Bizarrely enough I'd suggest that you wash less- a shower once a day should be enough- and make sure the clothes you wear are natural fibres.
  • Options
    Hi, not sure if this will help but my boyfriend always uses a wet wipe called Fellas Wipes before I go down there! There intimate wipes for designed for men to use anytime of the day to freshen up, as there small and individually wrapped, so no one would know your using them and there orange flavoured, which is safe for oral contact! Might be worth a try ;)
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    How about your diet? Do you eat eat healthily?
  • Options
    /e:

has been mentioned before.
  • Options
    J@ke wrote: »
    How about your diet? Do you eat eat healthily?

Yea pretty awesome diet wise. A lot of fish in my diet, maybe that contributes :p
  • Options
    dobule psot