Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

e-petition : Make financial education a compulsory part of the school curriculum

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I doubt anything would come of it but I think this is a worthy petition to sign up for :

"It's a national disgrace that in the 20 years since introducing student loans, we’ve educated our youth into debt when they go to university, but never about debt. We're a financially illiterate nation, with millions caught by misselling, overborrowing and being ripped off. Is it any surprise we’ve just had a debt imbued financial crisis. This must change. Companies spend billions on marketing and teaching their staff to sell – it's time we got buyers' training. The most cost effective way to start is to ensure every child in the country gets a basic understanding of personal finance & consumer rights before leaving school. This isn’t a large resource requirement. Some schools already do it, but the majority don’t and that needs to end. Unless it's compulsory, head teachers can’t prioritise for it. 97% of people support this, yet no one will take up the baton. We have one of the world’s most complex consumer economies; it's time our children were taught how to thrive and survive in it."

https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/8903

(Taken from moneysavingexpert.com)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I could have learning that stuff at school, rather than trigonomotry and algebra, which I promptly forgot after my GCSEs.
    Signed.
    I don't feel that my school taught me anything useful about finances; I'm just grateful that my family was able to fill in the gaps! But not everyone is so lucky and I totally agree.
    Signed.
    I don't remember learning anything about finances at school. I'm quite fortunate that my dad knows about that kind of stuff, so I've always been able to ask him if I needed to know anything.
    I'll sign, but I still think that the source needs to be changed more than just educating people. Make it harder for banks to over-sell, miss-sell and generally fuck people over and being ripped off by them.