Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Seroquel

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody else on or have been on Seroquel? Just wanted to talk about experiences of the med and compare notes a bit.

Dan

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    KTFO.

That is all.
    My best friend takes it and she likes it. Have you taken anti-psychotics before?
    Yes, i was on Quetiapine for about two years and a bit. like some Anti-psychotics, they work better for some people than others. At first, once i was at a theraputic level i found it very helpful. After around just under two years my symptoms did worsen so i had to move on to another anti-psychotic. In my experience i did find i had to try others which obviously is a long process but i think stick at it and it may be benefical.
    I used to get knocked out by it but i put that mostly down to the mixture of quetiapine and chlonazepam. Been on it a year now and i'm getting to that "should i still bother" stage. I know everyones going to jump on me and tell me never to stop without docs advice.
    Been on it a year now and i'm getting to that "should i still bother" stage. I know everyones going to jump on me and tell me never to stop without docs advice.

I'm not going to tell you that you should go to your doctor because i think you know you need to talk to them about your concerns.
    I don't actually know if this will be any consellation to you but funny enough just a few weeks ago i had the same feelings- should i bother? I felt sick of it. so i did it and i can honestly tell you i felt fucking shit, so much i can't put into words. Lots of things were going on i could hardly speak the first few days. I thought it would be pass but my symptoms got worse. After two weeks i decided to tell someone and now because of it i have to go back into hospital so they can put me back on it properly. I don't think with Quetiapine this would be the case as it doesnt have the same serious side effects and monitoring needs. Though you'd have to start back at the starting dose and work back up so it won't be as supportive.

I thought to myself, do i really want to be back there on section?
    Ultimately it's your decision but maybe work out what your priorities are in terms of, is your health top of the list? Do you think you can function without it?
    I asked two of my friends, here are there stories about Seroquel.

Hello :wave:,

Story 1- I was prescribed this drug by an eccentric physchiatrist (arn't they all) he said it would make me feel better - how wrong could he be! I was paralitic on this drug, I've had adverse reaction to prozac - then took aropax - what a circus. This drug nearly finished me! I stopped taking it changed my Doctor, they lost my notes in the process so I have a clean slate, and can write my own medical history. Now I am coping with the diagnosis of PREDIABETES yes the stage before DIABETES and watch this drug SEROQUEL I found out after I took it - there is a 400% chance of getting prediabetes. I will never take another drug like this - get a proper diagnosis, its so hard to do on this medical revolving door system, they call healthcare.

Story 2- I was diagnosed as cyclothymic middle of 2008. I was put on the lowest dosage of 25mg. In early 2009 after being hospitalized for a suicide attempt, I was assigned to a different psych who decided it was best for me to increase my dosage to the maximum of 300mg (for depression. For the manic end the maximum is 600mg? So I read somewhere). Ever since then I've either been on 200mg or 300mg. After deciding to get pregnant this year, I've been gradually lowering the dosage. I'm on 50mg now. I'm going to go down to 25mg tonight. So far I'm doing really well. I think it's because I'm in a low-stress environment. I'm married and settled down. I don't work so I don't have to deal with people a lot which is good for me. Also, I have figured out what cyclothymia in myself means. The big episodes of course I could see what the problem was. Very agitated, can't settle down, I get reckless and make poor choices. And any big upset like a breakup or a fight took so long to get over. For me sometimes it's an independent mechanism, where my mood comes from I mean... but most times I'm just reacting exaggeratedly to environmental stresses. So like now, I can tell the difference when it's just my personality or a normal reaction to an environmental trigger.... I just set the boundaries and keep it contained. I'm more aware of it. And of course, to avoid craziness I ignore any impulses to do something ill-advised like running away or going out on my own. Any excess mental energy I work off by doing productive things like exercise or art or housework or home decor. Any moodiness that comes I know will go away soon enough. I might brood for a while but I know there's always light.

Hope that helps,
    Randy.
    Randoman wrote: »
    Hello :wave:,

Story 1- I was prescribed this drug by an eccentric physchiatrist (arn't they all) he said it would make me feel better - how wrong could he be! I was paralitic on this drug, I've had adverse reaction to prozac - then took aropax - what a circus. This drug nearly finished me! I stopped taking it changed my Doctor, they lost my notes in the process so I have a clean slate, and can write my own medical history. Now I am coping with the diagnosis of PREDIABETES yes the stage before DIABETES and watch this drug SEROQUEL I found out after I took it - there is a 400% chance of getting prediabetes. I will never take another drug like this - get a proper diagnosis, its so hard to do on this medical revolving door system, they call healthcare.

Story 2- I was diagnosed as cyclothymic middle of 2008. I was put on the lowest dosage of 25mg. In early 2009 after being hospitalized for a suicide attempt, I was assigned to a different psych who decided it was best for me to increase my dosage to the maximum of 300mg (for depression. For the manic end the maximum is 600mg? So I read somewhere). Ever since then I've either been on 200mg or 300mg. After deciding to get pregnant this year, I've been gradually lowering the dosage. I'm on 50mg now. I'm going to go down to 25mg tonight. So far I'm doing really well. I think it's because I'm in a low-stress environment. I'm married and settled down. I don't work so I don't have to deal with people a lot which is good for me. Also, I have figured out what cyclothymia in myself means. The big episodes of course I could see what the problem was. Very agitated, can't settle down, I get reckless and make poor choices. And any big upset like a breakup or a fight took so long to get over. For me sometimes it's an independent mechanism, where my mood comes from I mean... but most times I'm just reacting exaggeratedly to environmental stresses. So like now, I can tell the difference when it's just my personality or a normal reaction to an environmental trigger.... I just set the boundaries and keep it contained. I'm more aware of it. And of course, to avoid craziness I ignore any impulses to do something ill-advised like running away or going out on my own. Any excess mental energy I work off by doing productive things like exercise or art or housework or home decor. Any moodiness that comes I know will go away soon enough. I might brood for a while but I know there's always light.

Hope that helps,
    Randy.

It was interesting to read those experiences but from reading previous post from Morphandcoffee he explains he was diagnosed with Psychosis which is one of the the main reasons for using this drug, obviously hense the title. (Anti-psychotic)Other uses would be some aspects on the Bipolar scale, etc.
    Because the drug can go higher, it could potentially be more beneficial. Not all Anti-Psychotics will work for everyone, like how you've explained. I'm not sure if Morphandcoffee is just fed up with taking it or it's not working for him?
    There will be side effects from taking any of these types of drugs, long term or short term but that can differ from person to person.
    There will be side effects from taking any of these types of drugs, long term or short term but that can differ from person to person.

She said it a lot better that I could, I don't really take any medication. :D