Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

smoking

Annaarrr!!Annaarrr!! Posts: 876 Part of The Mix Family
okay im serious about giving up.
tips and reasons to quit would be really helpful cos im putting together a list and im gonna start a diary that ill carry round with me so i can deal with cravings etc.
pleeease help

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    The NHS site is very helpful:

http://smokefree.nhs.uk
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    have a look at the british heart foundation too. also look at some of the past anti-smoking campaign videos/posters online. it was one like this that convinced someone i know to quit.
    The best thing I found is not to make a massive deal out of it. The worst of it is the first two to three days where you feel restless and a bit sketchy. Busy yourself for the first week by doing some exercise and trying to stay out of the way of situations where you and other people would normally smoke. If you can go a week then you've done the hard work.
    The best thing I found is not to make a massive deal out of it. The worst of it is the first two to three days where you feel restless and a bit sketchy. Busy yourself for the first week by doing some exercise and trying to stay out of the way of situations where you and other people would normally smoke. If you can go a week then you've done the hard work.

And don't go to India ;)?
    Find something for your hands to fiddle with for the first week or so as well.

Chewing gum for your mouth, and a ball of blu tak to play with are both good distractions. Just don't get in a tangle and chew the blutak.
    And don't go to India ;)?

That's something else that, if you've the will power, you should allow yourself to do: smoke while on holiday. It means than when you quit you never have the Last Cigarette Ever feeling. It's not a tactic everybody should use, but it works for me.
    I taught my gf to knit when she was quitting, that kept her hands busy.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I taught my gf to knit when she was quitting, that kept her hands busy.

"Knitting", is that what you kids are calling it these days? :D
    "Knitting", is that what you kids are calling it these days? :D

It's all we do in bed :angel: