Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Tell me about the North East!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, some of you know I'm training with a church for ministry and as such I go where I'm sent.

I'm a Londoner by birth and choice, but there is a chance I'll be sent northeast-wards. So, I know a lot of you live or have lived there. What's it like? What sort of salary would I need in order to support myself (living alone)? Should I be looking at living in a city? I can't drive, is that a problem?

Tell me, give me your brains!

Comments

• JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Fundamentally it varies where in the north east. Any ideas where?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    True. Newcastle-ish.
    It depends on whether you would want to live alone or whether you would want to house share. Both have their benefits and both have their drawbacks. Not being able to drive really won't be a problem, Tyne and Wear is a PTE area and as such the buses, trains and Underground are pretty good and not too pricey. It costs me about £40 a week to commute from my house to Durham, which is a distance of about 30 miles and involves separate season tickets for both a bus and a train (the train is £25pw and the bus is a smudge under £15pw). You can probably rent a nice one-bed place for about £400pcm, less for a room in a shared house.

You could probably live OK on a salary of about £18,000, I've certainly lived on less, and as a couple we currently live fairly comfortably with a baby and a mortgage and loan payments on a combined income of about £30,000.
    It is certainly a lot cheaper than living in London!

I can back up what Arctic Roll has said regards buses around here, they are pretty ace in general.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    I'd agree that anything in the ~£18k range will give you the ability to live relatively comfortably alone, providing you don't have a fascination for expensive perfume and chauffeur driven limo's.
    I've lived on benefits in London, I have a fascination for Sainsbury's basics :p
    piccolo wrote: »
    I've lived on benefits in London, I have a fascination for Sainsbury's basics :p

At one point in the past (dont know if its still the case) there was a company that made products for both marks and spencers and sainsburys basics.
    If you come up here you'll be able to afford Waitrose basics ;)
    If you come up here you'll be able to afford Waitrose basics ;)

And earn yourself minimum wage baby sitting #sodbaby :)
    I used to work for a company based in the north east and it was lovely i really miss going up there, and so much cheaper to live than London. Which was great for them not so good for me who got paid a newcastle salary to live in london.
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    And earn yourself minimum wage baby sitting #sodbaby :)

Haha. Poor Sodbaby will be babysitting herself soon by the looks of Facebook (at least if she continues not to share ice cream with her daddy).
    If she does it again she'll be living in the shed with the cats.
    piccolo wrote: »

We have an awesome shop that I'm obsessed with...called HOME BARGINGS..yeah its really cheep...It sells like...food and other things you may need..its awesome....Just saying..

I'm from the north but my geography skills doesn't stretch far enough to know if im from north east..so I'll let you figure that out ;)
    Emmalee wrote: »
    We have an awesome shop that I'm obsessed with...called HOME BARGINGS..yeah its really cheep...It sells like...food and other things you may need..its awesome....Just saying..

I'm from the north but my geography skills doesn't stretch far enough to know if im from north east..so I'll let you figure that out ;)

It doesn't look like I'll be moving; a lot of other things have happened since I first wrote this! Thanks, though
    I blame the person posting above me for making me look like an idiot for not reading the date posted... :P

Lets just pretend I didn't make a fool of myself okay? ;)
    Emmalee wrote: »
    Lets just pretend I didn't make a fool of myself okay? ;)

Easily done; you didn't!
    I'm in the North East, and around 40 minutes from Manchester.
    Depending where you stay (obviously) the price would change. We've got a 3 bedroom house, which is quite big, with a yard, and pay £375 a month (friend does to add haha).

Buses for a weekly are £18 and for a return/day saver is £4.50 (not sure on singles cos I always get day savers!)

Hope it helps a bit :)
    I'm in the North East, and around 40 minutes from Manchester.
    Depending where you stay (obviously) the price would change. We've got a 3 bedroom house, which is quite big, with a yard, and pay £375 a month (friend does to add haha).

Buses for a weekly are £18 and for a return/day saver is £4.50 (not sure on singles cos I always get day savers!)

Hope it helps a bit :)

Single tickets are £2.30... I remember when the bus used to be like £1 hahahaha... times have changed
    Ignore what I said, I'm from North West not East... ooooops.
    Hey Guys,
    Going to close this thread just so no one else posts in it - as piccolo says it is quite old.
    But no worries Emmalee - it happens sometimes and thanks for understanding.

:)
This discussion has been closed.