Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Moths!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Had attack of the moths at home and after having numerous holes made, I now really need to get rid of them.

Whats the sure-fire way of getting rid of them and keeping them away?

I've googled it and come up with about half a dozen suggestions that may or may not work

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yellow sticky fly traps might work? We used them for flies predictably and it helped a lot. I'm hoping it would also work for moths.
    Moths too!

I've noticed lots of small, slow flying mini-moths around my bedroom and particularly bedroom cupboards. I think these are small clothes moths, but ordinary fly killer spray don't seem to work on them.

My Mum used to use moth Balls, but they made your clothes stink! I'll look up a spray or something on the net... but in the meantime has anyone found and tried something that works?

Ta
    I know freezing your clothes will kill the larvae which cause the problem...but I don't have a freezer!

According to "The Fragrant Pharmacy by Valerie Ann Worwood", Lavender, Lemongrass, Camphor, Rosemary, and Citronella are all good essential oils to use to get rid of moths. She suggests several methods - a couple of drops of which ever oil on a cotton wall ball, making your own drawer liners with blotting paper (a few drops and then brush with orris root powder - available from most supermarkets), and cutting lengths of cotton ribbon, adding a couple of drops of oil and placing above a window (to stop them coming in the house in the first place). She does also suggest a spray - 10 drops of citronella & 3 drops of peppermint (which will also keep mozzies at bay), or 5 drops of lavender and the same of citronella.

I'm glad I remembered I had that book! I just need to find a way of getting rid of the ones in the clothes already!
    It's the larvae that you have to kill.

Steaming your clothes thoroughly should do the trick if they're not suitable to be boil washed.
    Can you still hire clothes steamers from places? or is that just a really 80's thing?