Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Improving your mental wellbeing + how to stay well in work

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

In terms of my own experiences I developed mental health problems whilst at university in the form of psychotic episodes and have been diagnosed with schizophrenia.

The episodes I had were in 2004 and 2005. I graduated despite the problems in 2007 and shortly afterwards became involved with my local MIND.

There I have done a range of courses and developed a wellness recovery action plan.

I guess my question is what ideas do you have for me to continue to improve my wellbeing and develop ?

Part of that question is also what are good things you think to do if life does become harder for whatever reason (I can maybe add any ideas to my WRAP plan.)

I do believe I am progressing. The next stage is to get into paid employment.

Since university I have had bits of paid work, but done quite a lot of voluntary, but then the job climate hasn't been that great. However, I think it's been best to have been doing what I've been doing and learning about mental health I think.

It is certainly broad though.

Currently job searching and have been developing a WRAP for work - if you have any ideas about staying well whilst looking for work but also in work please share.

It's currently the whilst looking for work part that I'd like ideas on as it is pretty tricky to find a job.

I'm hopeful that I can make the transition to work, but it's maybe a little bit fear of the unknown.

I think voluntary work has helped a bit in terms of preparation

Comments

• Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey Mark,
    This seems to be a recurring theme for you - you've posted about it quite a few times since you joined and hopefully some of the replies you've had in the past have helped a bit.

Just wondering what your specific experience is from 2007 until now - it might help us to make suggestions knowing exactly what your steps have been in the last four years.

Also, going to move this into the work forum as I think it might fit better there.

:thumb:
  • Options
    I think I bring it up as it's a big subject and it's had an impact on my life.

I feel that it's an on-going learning process so that's why I bring it up.

From a mental health stand I've been involved with my local MIND since 2007 and done a whole range of courses. I think they have been beneficial and I think my mental health has improved.

But I don't think it's a case of 'job done.'

From a work point of view I did a lot of voluntary 2007-8, then did some internships in France 2008-9, got back temped a bit and got involved with local voluntary organisation where I am now and have done an advice and guidance course 2010-11. Have been unemployed since early 2010, but have done voluntary work and the advice and guidance course as well as plenty of mental health stuff.

I want to make the transition into more permanent work at some stage, but it's a little bit fear of the unknown. So far I've been fine with bits of work I have done since uni, but the whole 9-5 thing might not be the best move to start with - maybe part time is better.

Just thinking from a mental wellbeing point of view - I may be fine, but I've heard of loads of people going off with stress and depression because of work, so clearly work can cause problems which obviously isn't what I want now that I am doing ok generally.
  • Options
    Your chances of getting paid employment with a diagnosis of SZ depends very much on what type of job you're after. In some walks of life they are reluctant to take on people with mental health issues. Its more common for people with history of SZ to work part time