Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Discrimination

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A few weeks ago my dept announced the names of 10 people who were moving jobs once they had completed training.Two people were then imediatelty removed as it transpired that they were on holiday during the training period, and my name was then added. I immediately told my manager that i too was on holiday and would not be able to undergo training. She returned after discussion with her managers and said that as i was a quick learner i would pick the new job up as i went along.i was not happy with this reply and so then was assured that i would get training... I have now raised a greivance as i feel that when selecting this new team they failed to include everyone as they did not include any one on part year working or annual leave. (apart from me) My manager says i have no grounds for raising a greivance but i feel so angry at this decision. Am i being stupid? or has the dept discriminated against me? Also i applied for a vacancy while this was in development and i have again been excluded from applying. Please advise?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You don't mention what grounds you think you are being discriminated upon by, for instance - gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, disability, race, etc.
    So to be clear, you're raising a greivence not because of something they've done to YOU but to how they have excluded other people [from selection]? Really, you should leave this up to the other people. Taking on such fights might have admirable basis, but all it's likely to do to you is mark your cards as someone who's fairly disruptive. I'm not even sure that you can generally raise greivences on behalf of someone else [1]. Did you ask the other people if they felt unfairly treated?

[1] I'm assuming that you're not a union rep.
    It's hard to give much advice without knowing more about it.

If your employment is being transferred to another company then you might have grounds to complain. If you are being asked to work in a different office, significantly further away from your home, you might also have grounds to complain. If you're just being moved to a different department within the same building, on the same contractual terms, then I think you'll find that your employer can do this under the terms of most employment contracts. Your employer can deploy you on any reasonable job.

It does sound a bit like you're kicking off because you don't want to move departments. In that case, tough luck.
    Thanks for all help but think that i am just angry at the way things have been done so all i really need to know is:
    1) What was the selection criteria? (and if they state that it was dependant on leave etc then i have been treated unfairly),
    Discrimination is not really what happened and certainly the ones who have been excluded will have to take on their own challenges.
    There doesn't have to be any selection criteria if you're working for the same company on the same contractual terms. They can deploy the person they think is the most suitable to do the job.
    I'm still not entirely sure where discrimination comes in; can you explain that?
    Its discriminatory but not the sort of discrimination you are likely to be successful in raising a greviance against. Some organisations have a habit of moving people about wily nily.