Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Norethisterone.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My girlfriend's coming over from the 3 to the 8 of August. I don't really want to be on my period because of swimming/sex/camping. I don't really know when my periods are going to happen, but last time was the very beginning of July, so the beginning of August seems plausible.

I looked on the internet about Norethisterone, and there's loads of people saying that they'd never ever take it again. A few people said that it causes nausea and vomiting (I'm not good with feeling sick at all, it totally throws me off) and others said that it causes awful PMS (I already get it bad enough, to the point where I often cannot see the point in getting out of bed, my self harm gets more out of control, and my behaviour towards other people is totally erratic.) Are these side effects normal with Norethisterone, or are they rare? There's no point not being on my period if I'm throwing up and wanting to kill myself.

On the other hand, is there a way I can kind of make myself start my period this week, like by thinking about it or eating lots of something?

Thank you lovely people :)

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hey!

This sounds pretty odd but my ex used to use these things http://www.nuvaring.com/Consumer/index.asp that you put up there and then you can choose when to have a period, so rather than trigger one now you could stall it, maybe?

(Please take note that I am a guy and have no idea of the risks of stopping a period by a week or so)
    ive had norithisterone, and i wouldnt take it again.

I felt crappy and premenstrual and like i was about to come on any moment. Yes it stopped the bleeding, but tbh, i think id rather put up with a period than that horrible just before a period feeling for a week. at least with a period, once it comes, you feel better.

also a lot of people get a mega heavy period afterwards too.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    :wave: Grace,

Although norethisterone might sound like a good idea in theory as it could stop your period for the week that your girlfriend is with you, it can also have potential side effects as you and SuzyCreamCheese have discussed. For some more information about norethisterone, when it should be taken and what the possible side affects might be you could have a look at the factsheets on the NHS website.

If you are thinking about taking something like this, it is always advisable to visit your GP to talk it through, as it doesn't suit everyone and they are best able to advise on what it will do, and what the side effects may be.

As SuzyCreamCheese says, although it may delay your period you may still experience PMS, bloating etc. and if this normally makes you feel more likely to self harm it's a good idea to have a think through whether you think it is worth taking?

Unfortunately, thinking about your period will not make it come any faster (although I really wish it could :))

LauraO
    I take Dianette (not sure what type of Pill it is, I lose track) and it's meant I don't get periods or PMT but you have to start taking it at a certain point in your cycle.
    Thanks guys. I randomly came on my period last week so it doesn't matter anymore, but I wouldn't have taken norethisterone anyway I don't think.
    pills

Take the pills. The Norethisterone. It's fine and if not, just stop taking them. Trial and error and then you'll know if you can take them again or not next time you are in a similar situ. I was fine after I did it but make sure that you don't stay on them for too long. One cycle really is all it should be for. I get mine form the online clinic.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey Marytrary, thanks for sharing your experience, but always worth checking dates before posting, this thread is from July last year. Closing now. :)
This discussion has been closed.