Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

I need a bit of advice!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i'm 17 and i've been struggling everyday for a couple of years now, and i was diagnosed with depression 2/3 years ago. Since treatment in a hospital i have stopped self harming and improved a lot. A lot has changed in my life over the last year and it's become clear that i'm not coping again. I don't know if i have depression or if i'm just very upset, and i'm worried because depression can be very hard to over come and i could become a big risk to myself if i do have depression. I've had 3 therapists but therapy is just not for me. I thought about going to my gp for some help but i wondered if anyone could tell me what else i could try to sort out my emotional state before i go and see my gp because i'd like to go with some ideas or/and some understanding of what comes next.

Any advice would be helpful. thanks x

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    First of all its a big thing that you are recognising that you are finding it hard to cope and that you want to do something about it.

All the gps really suggest are medication and therapy really. I did CBT and found it really helpful.

On a personal note I finding writing really helps me to break down whats going on and get a bit of a grip on it all.
    I've tried CBT before and it didn't work for me. I've been writing for years and now it seems to not help anymore. I'm not going to go back to therapy so i guess i'm just going to have to be strong for as long as i can and wait untill i reach my breaking point. But thank you for the reply :)
    I've tried CBT before and it didn't work for me. I've been writing for years and now it seems to not help anymore. I'm not going to go back to therapy so i guess i'm just going to have to be strong for as long as i can and wait untill i reach my breaking point. But thank you for the reply :)

I would still go and see your GP, even if therapy just isn't at all for you they might have some helpful alternatives and ideas. I would never recommend to anymore to wait until they reach breaking point. Have you been trying other things? exercise? a new hobby? I know it sounds trite but sometimes a new focus can help.
    have you tried other types of therapy besides CBT?
    Are you on any medication? What kind of therapy have you had? I know it often seems like you can't get any access to any help until its too late (and trust me on this one, I've been in exactly that situation), but if you have a CPN/CMN (community psychiatric or mental health nurse), or a named worker, or even a GP that you get on well with, sit down and tell them EXACTLY how you've been feeling and your worries about getting worse. There should be some service that you can access to help you feel right again. But you need to keep an open mind about what may and may not work. Just because one therapy with one particular therapist didn't help, doesn't mean that that particular therapy with another therapist won't be helpful. Just be very honest about how you're feeling and keep an open mind about the options available.

And if you find that you aren't getting anywhere, find yourself a mental health advocate through rethink or mind. They should be able to help you get access to services.

Oh and if you do get something, let someone know if you feel its not working, so changes can be made.

Really hope you get some help!
    I have tried CBT and cognitive therpay. I've had 4 different therapists and it just doesn't work for me. I have been on medication before and i'm willing to try it again as im determined to get out of this rut. I've been in such a bad place that i have only gone out the house about once a week for 8months so exercise and things like that have been hard. I'm going to make an appointment with the doctor this week so fingers crossed :')

Thank you for all the replies, the last year has been very hard and very lonely. xx
    How about trying psychotherapy/art therapy/interpersonal therapy etc? CBT isn't for anyone, I certainly isn't for me.

Just be as honest as possible and take baby steps. set yourself tiny (and I mean tiny) achievable (and I mean achievable) goals for you to do every day.
    I think you should meet to your doctor or your physical trainer because i have no idea about it and i advice you that you don't listen or take any advice to anybody. You only met your doctor.
    I went to the doctors today and i have been prescribed some anti depressants and made them aware of how i'm feeling. It's a big step for me so we'll just have to see how it goes. Thanks for all the advice x