Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The walking thread

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Given that I'm walking my Race for Life, it's probably no good me posting in the running thread.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    For those not in the know, walking and running over the same distance burns roughly the same calories. Just that running gets you there faster.

I often enjoy a good walk, and there is something nice about a lovely stroll in good countryside.
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    there is something nice about a lovely stroll in good countryside.

I love that too. :)
    According to my pedometer,(it has distance on it too) I managed to walk just under 4 miles yesterday. *wonders how much of that was running up and down stairs*
    Aside from walking shoes, (I'm not walking in those if it's really hot) what's the best footwear? Apparently, by wearing completely flat trainers, it causes more problems?
    Completely flat trainers don't do me any good. I got sandals from a camping shop for when I went trekking and they were brilliant. I explained that they'd need to be supportive over a long distance, etc. I can't remember how much they were but, like my walking boots, they've lasted well over 5 years.
    Do you mean proper sports type trainers, or fashion trainers? Because proper sports trainers should be fine.
    Do you mean proper sports type trainers, or fashion trainers? Because proper sports trainers should be fine.

This.

You should be able to walk it in pretty much anything, tbh. 5k sounds long, but it's really not. I can walk for an hour in pumps or flip flops, so just a pair of comfortable shoes would be fine.
    You should be able to walk it in pretty much anything, tbh. 5k sounds long, but it's really not. I can walk for an hour in pumps or flip flops, so just a pair of comfortable shoes would be fine.

I was assuming that 'flat trainers' are sort of Converse-style, so that's what my answer refers to. Also, Melian, if you have a pain condition you should make sure that whatever you're walking in isn't exacerbating that.
    I really like mountain/hill walking but never have anyone to go with.

On the subject of footware - if I'm power walking down the local towpath, then just something with some tred, and a small bit of bounce. But anything with an incline, either my army boots or my walking boots.