Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Alcohol - can I stop myself from vomiting?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Was out this evening and ordered a few ciders. (one was 4.0% and the other was 6.0%) After having a few, I decided that I would have some food and some fruit juice. I ended up vomiting over myself. :yuck:

I had eaten before drinking and was eating just before I'd vomited. Can I stop this from happening again? I tend not to drink that much.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    drink less.

I cant drink much without getting ill either. I can cope with maybe 3 drinks max
    You could try drinking small amounts regularly to build up a little tolerance. Also eat something and drink a little milk to line your stomach before hitting the booze, if alcohol disagrees with your constitution though as it does mine there's nothing much you can do about it other than alternating between alcohol and water. Also drinking a lot of water before you go to bed works wonders in preventing a hangover, I've had to laugh at people saying its an old wife's tale...it's really not.
    A couple of ciders is probably too much if you don't usually drink. One small cider should be enough, try that and see if you still vom. Also, wat kind of cider was it, was it real- had it ever even had a whiff of apples? Some people can't stomach shit like Strongbow, I'm lucky, lucky coz I can and I like it :D
    tbh even the smell of cider makes me want to vom

too many bad experiences
    Eating and drinking fruit juice after the cider probably wasn't a good idea if you aren't used to it. I can't stomach food after drinking and I am a regular drinker! Definitely stick to water next time.

It is true your tolerance wil only improve if you build it up by drinking more
    Thanks. I've never had a problem with hangovers. However, I don't tend to drink that much.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Melian wrote: »
    Thanks. I've never had a problem with hangovers. However, I don't tend to drink that much.
    No need to start doing it.
    No need to start doing it.

As long as she remembers to drink water and doesn't overdo it, there's nothing wrong with getting a little merry now and then.
    For me, the trick is to start eating and then start to drink, so the food absorbs some of the alcohol.
    As long as she remembers to drink water and doesn't overdo it, there's nothing wrong with getting a little merry now and then.

no, but getting a little merry is drinking a little bit according to your tolerance. Getting merry for me wouldnt be having a few ciders. That would be getting drunk
    I'd bet regular heavy drinking is the reason why most people don't vomit when binge drinking.
    Vomiting is your body's way of purging itself of poisons, there's a reason you're being sick everywhere. Address that, instead of trying to stop a useful process.
    did you have an empty stomach before having the cider? if not, the hyper acidity from the empty stomach, cider, food (if with vinegar), and juice (if with citrus) may have caused you to vomit
    "A few ciders" can mean anything. If I have three pints of cider, even the weaker ciders, I'm well on my way, and I'm male, 6'0 and 15 stone. If you had three pints I'd expect you to be completely clattered and, to be honest, I'd be worried if you weren't.

My absolute limit these days is about 3-4 pints of cider or 4-5 pints of beer, and if I have five pints of ale I'm absolutely clattered. Four's pushing it.

Generally it's a good idea to drink slowly and drink plenty of water along with alcohol, especially if it is hot and sunny as you dehydrate quickly.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Never had a problem with being sick, never felt the need, even after 8 pints . Much more liekly to be sick in the morning.
    Weekender Offender 
    Oh, and drink halves rather than pints.
    Walk around a bit inbetween drinks. Stand up to talk to people a bit too. I've never been sick from drinking at the pub/at a party, only when I've been sitting down without really moving for a couple of hours and drinking lots.