Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sleeping pills

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone got any experience of coming off these?
I've been taking them regularly for 3 years.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Speak to your doctor
    i never found any of them worked if i take for more than a couple of days in a row so never had a chance to get reliant on a specific one.

Have you got other techniques for getting to sleep instead?
    Id suggest slowly lowering your dose and seeing how you get on
    Nothing else works but I'm butting heads with my doctor about this issue. The problem is I don't take them everyday but I take them as and when I need them and the thoughts of not having them makes me want to throw up. I've tried lowering the dose/ changing brans with little success and I'm just becoming increasingly aware that I feel a bit dependant on them..
    maybe the problem isnt with the sleeping pills as such, but just frustration with your sleep problem, which i can totally relate to.

I think using them on an as and when basis is very reasonable, and not a sign of reliance.

I also have the same fear of dependance, but also realistic and accept that i do have a sleeping issue, and i will pretty much do what it takes to make sure i get sleep each night, although i always give myself a good chance to get to sleep naturally first or with minimum help.

whats your sleep routine?
    maybe the problem isnt with the sleeping pills as such, but just frustration with your sleep problem, which i can totally relate to.
    this is very much agree with
    I think using them on an as and when basis is very reasonable, and not a sign of reliance.

I also have the same fear of dependance, but also realistic and accept that i do have a sleeping issue, and i will pretty much do what it takes to make sure i get sleep each night, although i always give myself a good chance to get to sleep naturally first or with minimum help.

whats your sleep routine?

at the moment i'm in a good routine really i work a 9-5 job monday to friday i go to bed around 12 and it get to 1 and i cant sleep i reach for the pills and wake up at 7. the thing is one bad nights sleep really cracks me and my whole week gets fucked coz i cant catch up.
    i think thats not a bad routine already, but id maybe consider going an hour earlier, so if you cant sleep straight away and need a pill, youre still getting a good 7 hours. Gives you more leeway
    i think thats not a bad routine already, but id maybe consider going an hour earlier, so if you cant sleep straight away and need a pill, youre still getting a good 7 hours. Gives you more leeway

thanks for the advice :) i'm gonna try going to bed an hour earlier and see how things go
    do it really slow, cut down slowly.... i felt a bit woozy and sick x
    if we could get natural sleep, we wouldnt be taking sleeping tablets
    I work at a nightclub and when im not working, i lie awake in my bed untill 3-4am. I was thinking about asking my doctor for something to help me sleep during the week. I want something that i wont be dependent on but i cant trust these drug companies and the side effects. Seems like the drugs fix one thing but cause/potentially cause so much more harm.
    Going to try a natural store first.