Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Bombs in Oslo - The unthinkable happened here as well

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
After New York, Madrid and London, Oslo has finally joined the not that glamorous club of being a bomb target. Today 22 of July, about 1530, a bomb went off right in the government district! This will probably end an era of a relatively open security regime around government officials compared to other countries, and it's hard to foresee the long term ramifications of this tragic event.

As a sidenote I can tell that I live in Oslo, and even though I live relatively far away from the government, but heard the blast loud and clear. Thought it was some construction workers setting off a planned excavation using tnt first, but quickly got the picture...

CNN article can be found here: http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/07/22/blast-rips-through-norways-capital-injuries-reported/?hpt=hp_t1

Still a bit hard to grasp, just hoping everyone I know are okay.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There was also the shootings on that random little island where they were having a youth conference.
    Sorry T-Kay :(

I was watching the news when it reached us here at about 2:45 our time but the extent wasn't properly known. I hope all your friends are ok.
    piccolo wrote: »
    Sorry T-Kay :(

I was watching the news when it reached us here at about 2:45 our time but the extent wasn't properly known. I hope all your friends are ok.

Thanks for your your consern piccolo. Yes, it's very tragic, now the number of confirmed deaths is 91 including what happened on that island :(

One guy has been arrested and is facing charges of terrorist acts, he's presumably a member of the extreme right wing (nationalist) strand.
    Our news here is reporting that he was targeting places with a link to the labour government, but not saying more than that.
    Our news here is reporting that he was targeting places with a link to the labour government, but not saying more than that.

That is correct piccolo. It's unconfirmed, but an attack on the "AUF" (the youth organization of the labour party in Norway) just after the attack on the buildings of the current labour government can surely be interpreted as a political assault.

The "AUF" is where some politicians in the labour party were recruited in the first place, and is probably the larges political organisations for youths in Norway.

Speculations include but are not limited to believing that the perpetrator was in disagreement of current immigration policy, however, this is also unconfirmed. He's now being interrogated.
    The bizarre thing is that the 'confirmed' deaths have been reduced to 76. How exactly was the 93 total 'confirmed' if 17 people were not dead at all? A huge mistake, or someone wanting a bigger story?
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    RIP to all the victims in that attack. I'm a bit stunned by the relative lack of publicity and why events such as Amy Winehouse's death seem to have received way more coverage??
    Skive wrote: »
    Weird thing is, most of that video sounds like the same sort of drivel the Daily Mail readership comes out with day after day.
    Uncle Joe wrote: »
    The bizarre thing is that the 'confirmed' deaths have been reduced to 76. How exactly was the 93 total 'confirmed' if 17 people were not dead at all? A huge mistake, or someone wanting a bigger story?

Yes I know, that's a bizarre mistake. The most probable explanation is that someone made a mistake by counting some of victims twice during a stressful situation.
    Threxy wrote: »
    RIP to all the victims in that attack. I'm a bit stunned by the relative lack of publicity and why events such as Amy Winehouse's death seem to have received way more coverage??

Weird thing is, most of that video sounds like the same sort of drivel the Daily Mail readership comes out with day after day.

I don't think that it's poorly covered, I've also been following the case through international media, cnn has had this case since it all started. But I guess there could be less coverage in some newspapers.
    It's pretty heavily covered here, even though Amy Winehouse / slow economic growth has had the front page in the last few days. There is a certain reticence to report on his views, though. One commentator in the Guardian refuses even to write the perpetrator's name because he doesn't want to give him the infamy he craves.
    One commentator in the Guardian refuses even to write the perpetrator's name because he doesn't want to give him the infamy he craves.

Are you following his example? :D
    Haha only to avoid being lynched by mentioning Charlie Brooker.

.... awkward