Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Absolutely sh*ting myself!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have got about 14 1/2 weeks left and the closer it is getting the morn I am shitting myself!!

I am totally clueless when it comes to babies and starting to have a massive panic about what you do with them lol, this is supposed to be the most natural thing in the world but I don't understand anything!!

For example I don't know exactly what i need for the baby past a car seat, somewhere for him to sleep, clothes etc.

Are these feeling natural or am I just some weird freaky pregnant lady lol.

Thanks

AFA
xx

Comments

• Options
    You and every other new parent in the entire world feels the same. Don't worry, you'll be fine, you'll muddle through just like everyone else does. That's not said to belittle you, I was terrified before Sod Baby was born, but she's nearly 16 months old now and I've not killed her or maimed her yet.

Go on mumsnet and netmums to see what other parents think, but bear in mind that at least half of the "essential" stuff the shops say you must have you really will never use. Take the baby bath as an example- I used it last winter to keep grit for the garden path in. Sod Baby has been bathed in it once, we used the sink the rest of the time.

Don't be over-awed by things like travel systems. Go to somewhere like Mothercare and get the staff to explain them to you. I say Mothercare because they're really good. IME Mamas and Papas just want to sell you things.
  • Options
    Do you really need clothes (apart from pyjamas and vests) in the first year?
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    I think it's fairly normal to panic a bit.

If you have other friends or relatives with young babies ask them for advice.

You might want to think about if you are going to breast feed or use formula. If you're going the formula route you'll want to pick yourself up some bottles and a steriliser and such.
  • Options
    You and every other new parent in the entire world feels the same. Don't worry, you'll be fine, you'll muddle through just like everyone else does.

Quoted for truth!

I knew a bit about babies cause I have a pretty big family, but I was still clueless about having my own actual baby. But similarly to Sod Baby, she has now reached a relatively advanced age without me damaging her in any major way, to the extent that I suspect I probably won't now.

Being scared is good. I means you realise the hugeness of what's about to happen. The learning as you go is just par for the course!
  • Options
    Thanks it's nice to know that im not the only one that has these feelings! You would think by 23 I would know about babies etc lol.

I sat down with my fella and we realised that we actually have more than we thought for him so I'm less stressed now. I'm going to try breast feeding and see what happens I think.

Guess I just need to chill out till he gets here now.

Thanks

AFA
    xx
  • Options
    Thanks it's nice to know that im not the only one that has these feelings! You would think by 23 I would know about babies etc lol.

I'm 29 and still have to get inside the duvet cover when changing it.

I don't think anyone's ready for a baby at any age. :D
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Do you really need clothes (apart from pyjamas and vests) in the first year?

Yes but for the first few weeks you can get away with baby gro's vests, a couple of cardigans and some hats and socks. After that you can buy on a needs be basis.

My head hurt so much lookign at all of the travel systems etc - I just went to John Lewis and said I want the lightest possible buggy which I can use from birth and which allows the baby to be facing me and which i can fit a car seat onto - I walked out with a bugaboo bee. You probably need to work out what you want but aside from that they can be quite helpful.

Even if your planning on breast feeding its worth making sure that you have a couple of bottles, some formula and a way of sterilising them as its always good to have a back up plan incase something goes wrong in the middle of the night.
  • Options
    It's just boobs and bums for ages... Wop ya tits out, clean their bums, and you'll be fine (yeah, time makes it all seem like it was that easy, lol). Car seat that fits on a pushchair and a cot that changes into a toddler bed were my best pre birth purchases.
  • Options
    I'm 29 and still have to get inside the duvet cover when changing it.

You mean there's another way?
  • Options
    I was clueless about babies as well and somehow things just got learnt over time. It's really exhausting and difficult and yet it's really rewarding and fun.

Don't stress yourself too much with purchasing stuff. The only thing I was clueless about at first and totally forgot were nursing pads! The stuff baby needed I found on lists on forums for mums and didn't lack anything dad couldn't buy after taking baby home.

Another big shock for me was the fact that breastfeeding didn't start very naturally at all in my case! So be prepared to give that some time to establish itself. I never understood this bliss I had heard breastfeeding mothers talk about until a few weeks in. Now I'm probably one of them. :) It's one of the things I never expected to require patience.

You'll be an excellent mom :)