Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

News of the World

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melanie Philpps article today was a corker indeed. Designed to divert attention as usual.

She's one of the poorest Journalists I've experienced. I don't really read the Daily Imaple, just that my mum buys it and I thought I'd give it a read. My word was I disappointed. Not that I was expecting anything impressive from them....:rolleyes:
    Slags off the BBC, suggests it's a "threat to our way of life". Now, I'm not suggesting that she's a hypocrute but isn't that the same Melanie Phillps who is married to one of their correspondents and the same Melanie Phillips who regularly appears on Question Time and The Moral Maze?

Sometimes I wonder if Mail columnists are truly ignorant of the world around them or just very skilled trolls.
    Sometimes I wonder if Mail columnists are truly ignorant of the world around them or just very skilled trolls.

Melanie Phillps is just the tip off the iceberg in rag. James Chapman and Rebecca Camber do my nut in.
    Anyone see what LulzSec did/has done to TheSun? lol.
    I love LuzSec even though they're slightly immature.
    Yeah they are. They don't seem that savvy in hacking, just basics, but its still fun to watch.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    All a right mess, really. Everyone's in with each other.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Yeah they are. They don't seem that savvy in hacking, just basics, but its still fun to watch.
    Hardly, from what i've seen dipping in an out of anon raids and some of the lulzsec irc channels, some of the hacks and security flaws they use blew my mind, and i thought i knew a far amount about hacking :L
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Anyone see what LulzSec did/has done to TheSun? lol.

I saw what they did, but just because I don't like their target doesn't make it any funnier than when they did Sony (for example).
    Anyone got any suggestions on where I could see these antics?
    That was funny too. All the targets have 100% deserved it...

All the fun stuff's on tw@tter.
    Shikari wrote: »
    Hardly, from what i've seen dipping in an out of anon raids and some of the lulzsec irc channels, some of the hacks and security flaws they use blew my mind, and i thought i knew a far amount about hacking :L

Yeah, but their group got help from Anon for most of the bigger stuff, LulzSec as a entity aren't that savvy.

About Sony, well, Sony as a multi-billion company should have better security. Plus they weren't the ones to steal the 70M data, that was somebody else jumping on the saddle of the horse. Again, Sony should have had better security and following laws regarding sensitive data. They fully deserved it. Trust no corporation just because they're big.

The users of Sony's systems didn't deserve it, but that is what happens when a company isn't following the rules.
    Lulzsec are a Greyhat hacking team. Partly-good/partly-bad. Goodside is they hacked the NHS and sent an email to their CEO or whatever saying "look,we don't mean no harm but please fix your security." However they also hack for personal gain like in Sony- for fun.

And now they have hacked the sun? Good. Makes me smile to see them hack those Heartless lying bastards.
    Terrikie wrote: »
    I just want to say that is this legal to heck this way... If there is some genuine reason to have it hacked , then it is fine, Other wise there should be strict actions taken against it... Thank you

What possible 'genuine reasons' are there to hack someones phone? Especially people like celebs and politicians. The only genuine reason to hack someones phone is in the national interest of security and public safety. That job falls to GCHQ and MI5 only, not the Murdoch and his rags.
    I would argue that it is unauthorised access to the mobile phone voicemails. After all is guessing a default pin number really hacking?
    Comes under the misuse of computers act. Any access to a computer or associated system, any modification of any information found or causing that information to be displayed/projected/output in some way, without authorisation of the owner, is an offence.

I had this issue a few years ago with some lads who guessed the admin password for a school system and went snooping in files. Mum and dad tried to argue the toss, needless to say the others come to me with computer related queries before attending the job.
    It's a handy skill, but also means I get shafted with all the facebook jobs, eurgh.
    Just when the media report it as hacking, suggests that there was some degree of technical expertise involved; when it seems there wasnt.
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Just when the media report it as hacking, suggests that there was some degree of technical expertise involved; when it seems there wasnt.

Make no mistake, Murdoch and his corporation have been using proffessional hacking. They've done alot of it, and they have passed the 'guessed everyones password' excuse for each one. They hacked phones, that alone suggests technical expertise.
    From the information I have heard, it seems that it was guessing of passwords. Where is your information that suggests they used highly technical hacking techniques?
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    From the information I have heard, it seems that it was guessing of passwords. Where is your information that suggests they used highly technical hacking techniques?

They hacked phones they did not own. Here is a list from wikipedia of some of the people.

The eight claimants were identified in media reports as:[23][33][34][35]

* Sienna Miller, actress
    * Kelly Hoppen, interior designer and Miller's stepmother
    * Tessa Jowell, Member of Parliament and former cabinet minister
    * David Mills, lawyer and Jowell's former husband
    * Andy Gray, sports pundit and former footballer
    * Joan Hammell, aide to the former Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott
    * Sky Andrew, sports talent agent
    * Nicola Phillips, assistant to the publicist Max Clifford

If you are telling me that hacking phones is straight forward and guessing of passwords then please prove it.

What are your sources by the way?
    I don't like linking to the Torygraph, but it has been suggested that people leaving their voicemail passwords as default (as, I confess, I have) is a major factor.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/phone-hacking/8622582/Phone-hacking-how-to-change-your-voicemail-password.html
    Very few people take the time to change their voicemail password, making it a very simple matter for anyone to hack into it and listen to, or even delete, their messages.

Most people only access their inbox from their mobile phone, and might even be unaware that phone hacking is possible by entering a code to listen to voicemail from any phone. It is, however, the work of less than a minute to change the four digit passcode to something much harder to guess and protect yourself from the prying attention of journalists, co-workers and jealous spouses. Here's how it's done on different handsets and networks:
    piccolo wrote: »
    I don't like linking to the Torygraph, but it has been suggested that people leaving their voicemail passwords as default (as, I confess, I have) is a major factor.

Haha touche!
    The only genuine reason to hack someones phone is in the national interest of security and public safety. That job falls to GCHQ and MI5 only, not the Murdoch and his rags.

Because some flowers are oh so special.
    Oooh caught out repeating the same (top hit on Google) source as Mr. G. Embarrassing. :p
    Make no mistake, Murdoch and his corporation have been using proffessional hacking. They've done alot of it, and they have passed the 'guessed everyones password' excuse for each one. They hacked phones, that alone suggests technical expertise.

The only way you can intercept a mobile phone call is either

With a warrant, and you're in the security services.
    You stand in line of sight between a mobile phone and the tower with a sufficiently powerful computer that can decrypt it.

Otherwise, it isn't possible to hack into a mobile phone. It is perfectly possible to guess the default voicemail password that 99% of people never bother changing.