Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

cheaper private schools

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I feel well placed to decide, went to a couple of private and a couple of state schools. If I could afford it, for my daughter I would choose girls boarding.
    if i could afford it, id pack all mine off to boarding school at the moment.
    I've never understood why people send their children off to boarding school.
    thats because you dont have children
    Well, what's the point in having if all you're going to do is send them off to boarding school? It was suggested for my brother and mum refused - saying it was better for him if he went to the school he did and came home each day.
    That was herdecision but she might not have been right. She probably kept him at home for selfish reasons- she wanted to have him around and feel like a 'good' parent for doing it all herself, whereas he might have actually had a better life going to boarding school. Food for thought eh Melian, food for thought?
    Melian wrote: »
    Well, what's the point in having if all you're going to do is send them off to boarding school? It was suggested for my brother and mum refused - saying it was better for him if he went to the school he did and came home each day.

what do you mean "whats the point in having them"?
    There is no point to having them. Its just making new people innit, and one of the responsibilities there is educating them in the best way you see fit and appropriate, and for a lot of people that doesnt necessarily mean having them by your side 24/7.
    I mean, whats the point of having them if youre going to send them to school full stop, because shock horror, THEY WILL BE BEING LOOKED AFTER BY SOMEBODY ELSE!!!1
    whats the point of having children if you want to go out sometimes and have a babysitter, whats the point of having them if youre just planning on going back to work at some point.

I dont get the multitude of "whats the point of having them" arguments you hear all the time as a parent.
    There are a multitude of different reasons people want to have children, and there are a multitude of very different but all perfectly adequate ways of raising them
    my brother went to boarding school for a while when he was younger, because it was the only school with a deaf unit and he did really really well, but when a local comprehensive opened a deaf unit, he went to that instead, and it was all downhill from there
    Melian wrote: »
    I've never understood why people send their children off to boarding school.

Lot's of people don't 'send' their children off to boarding school. For forces brats, kids with some kind of disability or behavioural problem, kids that live in rural areas, kids that aren't very clever and need more support with their schoolwork than a local state can offer etc etc boarding school can be a lifesaver. Yes, a lot of parents may want their children to be always close at hand, but part of being a good parent is doing what is best for your child, even if you don't reallllly like it.

And some kids just want to get the fuck out of home as soon as possible, or have read too many Enid Blyton books (though it's not like that at all). Some children have parents that have enough money, and make the decision to go themselves, rather than being 'sent'.