Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Theresa May, Big Mistake!!!!!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I never fail to be absolutely gob smacked by the stupidity of some Politicians when they open their mouths when it is obvious what they are about to say will invite trouble.

Theresa May, the present Home Secretary has just in my mind done something which should require her Leader, David Cameron to consider another post for her.

Yesterday we had senior officers from the Met being questioned by Parliament Chaired by Keith Vaz and one of those officers being questioned was John Yates the Former Assistant Commissioner. He was the one who is accused of misleading Parliament last time. What does Theresa do before the hearing is even finished, gives this lovely quote to the media;

"I have full faith in Mr Yates!"

There is an investigation going on into one of the biggest corruption scandals to hit the Met, and that means something considering some of the horrific misdemeanours they have been accused of in the past. And Ms. May decides she will find John Yates free of any suspicion even though the evidence shows the opposite.

I can understand the Commissioner of the Met Stephenson saying that John Yates has his support. He is a Copper, they do tend to stick together and cover up for each other.

The main problem as I see it is that people tend to talk of one "Bad Apple" No, get out of that mind set. Andy Hayman, former Assistant Commissioner is as shady as they come and the Select Panel even expressed that. I have a saying I judge all organizations by and it is this, "Saints do not get promoted in hell!" Another one is "Like promotes like!"

What that means is if someone is as clearly dubious as Andy Hayman is, and he has been questioned for a long time, you can damn well bet that the whole structure is dubious for some one like him to be able to get a promotion that high.

For those who do not know, the latest horror story concerning that man is that he was responsible for investigating News International, had dinners with them during the investigation and two months after resigning was given a Column in the Sunday Telegraph, owned by News International.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm happy to go with innocent till proven guilty. What does the "I have full faith in Mr Yates" actually mean, as it could easily be taken out of context "I have full faith in Mr Yates (to do the right thing/sort this mess out).
    Power breeds corruption, something the Met is all too familiar with. Some of the stories about how the police conduct themselves in the City horrify us up here in the Counties. The idea of a senior police officer cosying up to the people he is supposed to be investigating? Sickening.
    Having a dubious person at the top doesn't make an entire organisation dubious at all. The really dubious people tend to be very clever and it's therefore very difficult to pin anything on them. They also tend to be very good at defending themselves; try and attack them without proper evidence and they'll wipe the floor with you.

As for what the Home Secretary is saying, put it in context. She can't come out and say he's a lying crook, even if she thinks he is, because it isn't appropriate and it isn't professional. It's easy to tub-thump when it's not your job.
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    I'm happy to go with innocent till proven guilty. What does the "I have full faith in Mr Yates" actually mean, as it could easily be taken out of context "I have full faith in Mr Yates (to do the right thing/sort this mess out).

Theresa May's words could not be taken out of context, John Yates cannot sort mess out, he is no longer the Assistant Commissioner, it is Sue Akers who is investigating what he did amoungst other things. Therefore she could not have meant what you suppose. She was setting up a situation that could be very embarrassing for her Government. If it is found down the line, and when Keith Vaz the Chairman of a Select Committee tells John Yates to his face "Your evidence is not convincing!" you know the chances are John Yates has been more than a naughty boy, and that will leave Theresa May with egg on her face.

Look at Cameron now trying to distance himself from the Andy Coulton friendship, he cannot and Labour are having a field day rubbing his nose in it.
    She is the Home Secretary, it is her job to challenge Chief Officers, one things she should know is not to go around condoning people when there is an enquiry going on. It is embarrassing to her Party to do so especially as Cameron is trying his hardest to appear on the side of the public which is not admired by the way the Police have acted in all this.
    She also can't go round slagging them off until the inquiry has made a finding.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    She also can't go round slagging them off until the inquiry has made a finding.
    Why does she have to do either? If she has to say something, she could say "I'm sure the truth will be revealed". It's not an either-or situation with saying good or bad things.
    Why does she have to do either? If she has to say something, she could say "I'm sure the truth will be revealed". It's not an either-or situation with saying good or bad things.

I think that is what she is doing, she's maintaining the default stance of her position; that she trusts police commissioners unless she has substantial evidence that she should not, I don't think she had much evidence to distrust John Yates when she made the statement the OP is complaining about.
    From what I can see the big police mistake was made in 2006, which was to put the Anti-Terrorism Squad on the original investigation. Frankly phone hacking a few celebs, even murder victims and politicians vs bombs going off in London or Manchester or Cardiff - it's not hard to see where the peelers are going to put their resources