Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Homeless [Urgent]

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys!

I've been made homeless, both parents kicking out and basically leaving me with nothing but a pile of clothes and mobile phone. I'm a bit lost at what to do, and i really don't understand anything...

I'm unemployed, and currently not in education and i'm 17 years old...
I've been to the connections and The Zone, but they're insistent on repairing things with my family, which i've told them is really not possible, and that i've been kicked out over 3 times in the past, and this time it was final no more chances.
They're wasting my time, and making it harder for me to get advice, get somewhere permanent to stay and some sort of money to live on.

I've been to the jobcentre, and i've applied for the JSA, but because i'm 17 it's got to be special circumstances and well i guess i do fit them, but they're writing to both parents, and waiting responses before they'll accept me, which can take a while (I'm pretty annoyed they just didn't call my parents to discuss this with them). So looks like I'm not getting any JSA for a while.

Getting a job, or anything right now would be impossible as i've no fixed abode, so i've got to last atleast a month without any food, money or anything, currently living on what my friends give me, and stay at their houses, but i can't really do that for much longer.

I don't understand housing benefit and how i can get it, or where i can use it. Most flatshares and such don't accept it, and there isn't anywhere in plymouth really :/
Connections and the Zone are pretty much useless with help and advice.

What am i to do? Not looking forward to sleeping rough, and i'd get murdered at a youth hostel and or just have my stuff stolen...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Go to your local council to talk about emergency housing. Also they will discuss with you about housing benefits etc. Go to a local Shelter office if you can too, they should help you.
    Citizens Advice should be able to help.
    Find a friend's house to sleep at for this evening and then contact your local homeless unit http://www.plymouth.gov.uk/homepage/housing/homelessnessandallocations/homelessnessguidetoservices.htm
    If you have nowhere to stay now, or in the near future then either:

* phone the Housing Advice Service for assistance on 01752 305950. This service is available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (4.30pm Fridays)
    * go to Midland House, Plymouth City Council?s Housing Advice Service at Notte Street, Plymouth PL1 2EJ. A drop-in service is available Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm (4.30pm Fridays)

Opening times (see links opposite)

If you become homeless outside these hours, or on a Bank Holiday, please ring 01752 668000. This is for emergencies only and not if your situation can be resolved when the office is open.
    *hug* I know how you feel.

Shelter are really useful http://england.shelter.org.uk/
    I don't know where abouts in the UK you are but Crisis is also really good.

Do you have any health problems? In most areas, although they don't always honour it, priority should be given to anyone with mental or physical illness.

When you go to the Job Centre again to talk about JSA, talk to them about what sort of housing allowance you'd be entitled to when you find accommodation.
    piccolo wrote: »
    I don't know where abouts in the UK you are but Crisis is also really good.

He's in Plymouth.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/HomeAndCommunity/Councilandhousingassociationhomes/Findingsomewhere/DG_4001401 may help. However, most of it does depend on things like age and health.
    http://www.depaulnightstopuk.org/

Might be worth getting in touch with if there is one near you.
    Wyetry wrote: »
    http://www.depaulnightstopuk.org/

Might be worth getting in touch with if there is one near you.

Looks like the nearest is Exeter, phone number and email address on the website.
    Hey there Shikari,

Sounds like you're going through a really tough time at the moment; *hug*. But it's great that you've asked for help on here. Has there been any progress since yesterday?

The users have given great advice about where you can go for assistance; the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB), Shelter, Crisis and the local council.

Also to bear in mind, Housing Benefit applications should only be made once you become liable for rent; if you want to rent in the private sector. But obviously you will need some initial money to enter into a tenancy (for the deposit and sometimes the first months rent) and you are probably not in a position to afford this. Therefore, you may also wish to enquire at the Job Centre Plus about applying for a Crisis Loan. The forms are available to download from the link.

You can also make a homeless persons application at your local authority, for social housing. The local authority should house you in temporary accommodation while they investigate your application. If you need help when you receive their decision, you can contact your local CAB.

Take care and let us know how you are getting on.

:)
    The council may offer help with deposits.
    There has been no changes since i last posted. Most things require me to be 18. The woman at the Jobcentre, as there is only one under 18's in plymouth is a complete nightmare. She shouldn't be working at a place like that, all she does is talks down to me, and won't offer any advice or help for the situation.

I've had a look for flats, flat shares, house shares, b&b's anything like that, and everyone i've called up doesn't accept DSS and someone my age anyway.

I do have job interview on monday, but i hardly feel prepared for it and with all this, i'm going to look really crap.
    I'm doing my best to go talk to all these people about finding somewhere to stay, but every single time, i go somewhere and asked they always go "You need to speak to this person" or "You're too young" or "You need to fix things with your parents, it's their responsiblity" Just seem's like there's nothing out there...

I think the Jobcentre Plus woman, would actually set me on fire, if i brought up a "Crisis Loan" as she doesn't think i'm entitled to JSA anyway, let alone a crisis loan. And then i'd have to pay it back, i can't get myself into any sort of debt, whilst i'm in this position :/
    Crisis loans are taken out of your JSA. I seem to remember that you don't pay them back straight away or something.
    Have you tried the Council?
    I was in there briefly, but they couldn't help me straight away.
    Are you absolutely sure you can't come up with something vaguely functional with your parents? Doesn't have to be fun, just functional.
    Are you absolutely sure you can't come up with something vaguely functional with your parents? Doesn't have to be fun, just functional.

You could still be put on the council list if you're living there but shouldn't be, it wouldn't exclude you from help.

But obviously we don't know your situation so if it's really impossible you just need to keep badgering the council, Connections, etc.

Shelter have a good emergency housing tool to see what you're entitled to. I've run through it based on the information in this thread and it suggests you should be going to social services not the local Council.

In the mean time do you have a friend to stay with?
    Where have you stayed the last few days? It may be a long shot, but, could you go see your doctor? You could see somebody about counseling to help rebuild a relationship with your family. Same with social services, they might be able to rekindle your family relationships and place you into temporary accommodation until that moment.

I don't think I seen it in any of your posts, but when are you turning 18?
    Hey Shikari,

Any progress on this? Have you managed to speak to anyone more helpful?

:)
    At the moment i've moved in with a friend :) Now i'll just have to wait for the council to sort me out, thank you for all your help. Do doubt i can see this thread being very useful for other people who are homeless.

Thank you all :)
    Great to hear you have a place to stay, good luck with the council too :)
    Shikari wrote: »
    At the moment i've moved in with a friend :) Now i'll just have to wait for the council to sort me out, thank you for all your help. Do doubt i can see this thread being very useful for other people who are homeless.

Thank you all :)

I wouldn't put too much trust in the council...I know people who have been set up initially in hostels and then on to bedsits inhabited by the sorts of people your average undesirable would find undesirable.