Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Keeping a baby's sex secret after birth

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    jamelia wrote: »
    Ha. Find me a set of parents that don't do this.

Exactly. To some extent, all parents do that.
    It's the extent that they do it - yeah all parents pass on their views to an extent, whether to vote Labour, go to Church, support St Johnstone. But this is beyond the normal things that parents do - anything which is so extremely out of the ordinary it gets mentioned on the BBC website is very unlikely to be for the long term good of the child. This case seems like a sociological experiment, fascinating for some academics, but likely to deeply damaging for the kid.
    It's the extent that they do it - yeah all parents pass on their views to an extent, whether to vote Labour, go to Church, support St Johnstone. But this is beyond the normal things that parents do - anything which is so extremely out of the ordinary it gets mentioned on the BBC website is very unlikely to be for the long term good of the child. This case seems like a sociological experiment, fascinating for some academics, but likely to deeply damaging for the kid.

This is what i meant. Of course parents will pass on their beliefs to their kids but this particular belief has potential to seriously confuse an innocent kid. His/her school life could be absolute hell. Strikes me the parents are more interested in being different than raising their kids.....which is sad.

Also baffles me how they expect the child to form his/her own gender identity. He/She's a baby, most kids under 10 wouldn't even know what the words gender identity mean.
    Isn't it also impractical that no one apart from the 2 parents can change that babies nappy for however long it takes to toilet train them? :eek2:
    I did wonder what was going to happen there, too.
    Oh, I'm sure they're trying to be wonderful parents, caring and nuturing and by being gender neutral allowing the kid to reach its full potential. And who knows perhaps they are right - perhaps the kid will grow up to be well adjusted and grateful for their unconventional upbringing.

or perhaps they'll go out into the big bad world and unsure of where they fit in this world because they don't understand 'gender stereotypes' they are bullied, unhappy and socially maladjusted.

It seems a damn big risk to play with a child that the first thing happens and not the second...
    And unfortunately whenever I think of the baby I also think of this kid...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer
    ~
    ~
    And unfortunately whenever I think of the baby I also think of this kid...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Reimer

What the hell?
    Personally I think it's appalling to raise your children to believe in any kind of religious bullshit.

Doesn't everyone technically do that? I mean, many are brought up believing that God doesn't exist or whatever.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-14038419
    Some have called it "gender madness", but the Egalia pre-school in Stockholm says its goal is to free children from social expectations based on their sex.

On the surface, the school in Sodermalm - a well-to-do district of the Swedish capital - seems like any other. But listen carefully and you'll notice a big difference.

The teachers avoid using the pronouns "him" and "her" when talking to the children.

Instead they refer to them as "friends", by their first names, or as "hen" - a genderless pronoun borrowed from Finnish.

Thought it would be interesting to post the above thing I found, kinda relates quite a lot to this thread :d
    I've come across stories like this before. Nutcase hippies who want a girl instead of a boy and try to raise their boy as a girl under the pretence of allowing the child to "chose" their own "gender identity" whilst holding themselves aloft as models of the progressive zeitgeist. Total bullshit needless to say, and I'd suggest psychologically damaging to the child involved. Lousek has it spot on. There is no choice, society can only reinforce and develop that which is innate - or in this case, stunt & deny.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Some things might be innate but certainly not everything. And even the things that are aren't the same for everyone. In both cases, imposing societal norms based on somebody's sex can do a lot of damage as well, possibly more.
    I think a gender-neutral attitude to all children in a school will do more good than one child (who is automatically singled-out) being presented as genderless.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    piccolo wrote: »
    I think a gender-neutral attitude to all children in a school will do more good than one child (who is automatically singled-out) being presented as genderless.
    I'm in 100% agreement here.