Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Rant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have no idea what I'm meant to do.

I'm on anti-depressants and they run out in a few weeks, but I go away for a fortnight in 2 weeks, and therefore I need to get some more. My uni doctor said I'd have to see my home doctor, so I registered as a temporary resident (returned the form) at the start of this week.

I called up on Wednesday, and they still didn't have me on the system, so I waited until today. Called up and asked straight for an appointment, and the next available one is the 25th, by which time I'll be out of the country.

I then explained the situation, and asked if I could have an emergency appointment. To which the answer was "a repeat prescription isn't an emergency".

This is exactly why I always give up. Really not looking forward to running out of drugs when I'm in the middle of the North Sea. Not that they were helping anyway, but I was hoping to see my old GP who saw me the last time for some help :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Phone up and say the emergency isn't the repeat (it isn't) you need to see a doctor because you're ill.

Otherwise, just go in and say you need a repeat today and wait until a doctor can sign it off.
    piccolo wrote: »
    Phone up and say the emergency isn't the repeat (it isn't) you need to see a doctor because you're ill.

Otherwise, just go in and say you need a repeat today and wait until a doctor can sign it off.

:yes:

My doctor has a little pharmacy counter where you go to hand in your repeat requests. It makes life much easier.
    I think I'm going to have to do the phone up every morning at the certain time for an emergency appointment thing. I've missed it for today, so will have to wait till Monday.

I don't know if a doctor there can sign for a repeat... they won't have any of my records :chin:

I fucking hate my home surgery. Last time I gave up on ADs because the doctor wanted to see me every 2 weeks, and I couldn't get an appointment reguarly enough and it was just shit. I know I'm being overdramatic but I just feel that this always happens. I go and ask for help, get on drugs, and I never get far enough down the line to find something that actually works, because something always gets in the way.
    :yes:

My doctor has a little pharmacy counter where you go to hand in your repeat requests. It makes life much easier.

I have this too. It makes everything so much easier.
    I don't even have a repeat slip though. It's not a repeat.
  • plugitinplugitin Posts: 2,197 Boards Champion
    Ring up, say anything to get an emergency appointment, it just needs to be enough to give you one. They don't tell the doctor, so it doesn't actually have to be to the line of the truth.
    1) If your doctor wants to see you every 2 weeks they can often make the appointments themselves, but if the same thing happens again this time you can still get repeats; don't give up on medication because of the doctor. They want to see you every two weeks for your own good they would be horrified to think it backfires.

2) Yes absolutely phone up first thing Monday. If you get worse over the weekend, phone out of hours and talk to them (they should be able to get you a prescription as part of the consultation). Again, this is your health not just semantics.