Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Should I Quit the Gym?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I've been running for 3 months now and am loving it... I'm training for a half marathon in September and a marathon next April... I'm currently on 10K...

I'm thinking about leaving the gym, as it eats up my money. I have kettlebell weights and know exercises I can do and would like to focus on running...

Would this be a good idea?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if you prefer running, do that, at least its free.
    Ive pretty much given up the gym in favour of running
    Yeah... Think I will... It'll save me £50 a month too!
    If you're running, an dyou want to be a runner then forget the weights they won't help you.

The best practice for your sport is to do it (stands to reason) so yes, I'd bin the gym if I were you, if you've got a set of kettlebells there isnt much you cant do.

Only reason I ever went to a gym was because I needed heavy weight!
    Depends on how you might feel in the winter months and whether you want to use alternative equipment to help your training programme (variety etc.) Also think about potential running injuries, the gym is great for rehab and strengthening. Check out your gym contract, some allow you to take a payment holiday, maybe you could put membership on hold for a couple of months
    My brother has just come back up north from uni, at the moment till he gets paid he is trying the "free trial" offers at several gyms to keep himself going till he can afford to sign up to one!
    she'll need to run all winter anyway cos shes got the brighton marathon in april :thumb:
    I prefer to work out at home or go running, the gym is way too expensive, maybe a few years ago I would of joined one when they were cheaper and it seems stupid to me paying for something for which you can do free! :thumb:
    If you can afford it, I think you should definatly keep the gym membership. Not only for training in bad weather or the winter but to add some diversity to your program. You can run and run and run, but your body will get used to it and it won't use the exercise as effectively. Also mixing things up both cardio wise and weights wise will give you more endurance and speed. Had a whole lecture the other day from a trainer who significently reduced her ironman speedy by mixing things up.

And don't ever ever ever ever ever EVER EVER listen to somebody who says weights are useless and will only hinder you. Weights are extremly important, for speed, for endurance, general health. Unless you are some steroided up muscle head who does nothing but that, they will most definatly not 100% hinder you in your quest in running.
    I always thought of gyms as a place for people to show off. If running's your thing, there ain't no need to pay any fees to do so.
    Spliffie wrote: »
    I always thought of gyms as a place for people to show off. If running's your thing, there ain't no need to pay any fees to do so.

Agreed (weird huh!)

I hated the gym when I went, it was boring and it's hard to get any motivation. I play squash a couple of times a week now with my mate, much more fun.
    ive been told i should go back to the gym to work on my core to help with my running, but i aint paying £35 a month for that. I have bought an exercise video instead with core exercises
    I am going to start going to the gym, I think. Thankfully, it's only about £20-£25 a month here.
    Hi,,,
    I think with the Information you mentioned you need to quit the Gym and concentrate more and more on running.In my view you need to watch several videos of several techniques online so that you can master it...
    Treadmill isnt that good if you are going to run many k's and miles outdoors, you need to get outdoors and do the running.
    I am sticking with the gym for the next few months, as doing various exercises will help me melt off another 14lbs before I start full on marathon training!
    I put together my own home gym over the last few months and my only regret is not having done it a long time ago. My current gym membership costs me only $20/month while new members there are paying twice that today. Seems like a waste of money but I was curious as to how many others with a home gym being their primary kept their membership just to go in and mix things up once in a while?
    Markoo wrote: »
    I think you should keep start running for yourself because it is the best for the health and improves the stamina and also saves from the heart deceases.

I've been running for rather a long time thank you. I also think that running isnt the only form of exercise which is helpful for improvement of stamina and reducing risk of heart disease.