Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

News of the World

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14024668

New allegations about phone hacking, this time that it was Milly Dowling's phone and that the NOTW's routine deletion of her messages to make space for new ones led the family and police to believe she was still alive.

Whoever was responsible for this is a fucktard, and hopefully a spell in prison will teach them a lesson.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Is anybody surprised?:rolleyes:
    Nobody is surprised, but lets hope that this time the Metropolitan Police and CPS decide to prosecute the organ grinder not the monkey.

Brooks should be spending a long time in one of Brenda's holiday camps.
    I feel prosecution of organ grinder and monkey would probably be the way forward.
    Let's not limit this to the NOTW... just look at the lack of coverage this is getting is many of the other papers. Surely this is as much a front page story as how Bellfield treated her parents in court - in fact more so - at least he has the defence of trying to avoid a conviction.

Funny how it takes something like this for people to wake up to this story which has been smouldering for months/years now. What you have is a viper's nest slowly being unvcovered, one which goes to the heart of how the UK print media operates, how the Met interracts with them and how our politicians are their bitches...
    I said it was a bit fishy how nasty the media were being about Bellfield's lawyer. A man who, of course, was being paid to advocate for Bellfield and say what Bellfield wanted him to say- his own personal views have to be left at the courtroom door.

And so it turns out that it was fishy. And yet Jeremy Hunt (how Naughtie's spoonerism suddenly seems appropriate) seems to think that News Corporation are fit and proper people to own all of BSkyB.

I think Private Eye might have something on Brooks. Apparently the plan is to move her to the safety of maternity leave and some very serious and detailed Ugandan discussions are already underway.
    I think they should come up with a better term for guessing a 4 digit voicemail PIN than 'hacking', it just contributes to the irrational fear 'hackers'.

On an appropriate note, isn't the best course of action simply to boycott their papers? Its not as if you'll be ill informed if you don't read News Of The World everyday.
    And then there's more... so possibly hacking of the mother of Sarah Payne, plus Soham, plus police interview with the lawyer representing the McCanns. Then add the police tipping off Rebekah Brooks that they knew NOTW employed PI was tracking a police officer investigating a murder where another NOTW PI was implicated...

As the 2-inch coverage in The Sun (and massive gaps in other papers today) would have it... move along, nothing to see here.
    Now we have emails suggesting Coulson authorised payments to the Police...

Nothing to see here.
    But while it continues to sell papers, it will continue to happen. It's easily fixed - don't buy papers that go in for scandal.
    Though if you lose enough advertising revenue.
    Encourage a News of the World advertiser boycott - I don't read newspapers or watch televised news, but I'll support this. Likewise if it was expanded to include the DailyMail and The Sun!

http://notwadboycott.posterous.com/encourage-a-news-of-the-world-advertiser-boyc
    Interesting turn of events.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14070733
    Good. As a final installment its been reported that they also hacked dead soldiers phones.

1 down.
    They are also alleged to have been hacking dead soldiers emails as well.
    Interesting turn of events.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14070733

Yeah, usual "we're in this together" response by those in power. Protect the guilty, sack the workers.
    Yeah, usual "we're in this together" response by those in power. Protect the guilty, sack the workers.

From what i have seen this morning closing the paper down is actually a good thing for Murdoch it seems like the perfect excuse to get rid of a failing paper and replace it with the same old crap under a diffrent name. Its typical of him and his kind to try and make a public gesture when all along its just about money the replacement paper is likely to be The Sun on Sunday which no doubt will be a collection of rehashed stories already run in the sun through the week with some headline grabbing crappy sex story splashed across the front.
    AR will correct me if I am wrong (and just being cynical) but closing the company and liquidating it's assets also helps avoid damanges costs I believe.

Additionally, it currently reduces his % of the media market, which is a main objection to his BSkyB plans.
    AR will correct me if I am wrong (and just being cynical) but closing the company and liquidating it's assets also helps avoid damanges costs I believe.

Additionally, it currently reduces his % of the media market, which is a main objection to his BSkyB plans.

Surely the damages thing only makes a difference if News International closed, not just shutting down part of its operations
    Surely the damages thing only makes a difference if News International closed, not just shutting down part of its operations

News Intl cannot be held liable because, well, it wasn't them that did anything. It was NOTW. Unless, of course, they haven't been smart enough to separate the companies to protect their assets.
    which is a main objection to his BSkyB plans.

Which is his ultimate goal. If anyone really thinks he cared about the people who had their phones hacked they need to think again. He's a ruthless sod who's realised BSkyB will make him more money than a sleezy paper.
    News Intl cannot be held liable because, well, it wasn't them that did anything. It was NOTW. Unless, of course, they haven't been smart enough to separate the companies to protect their assets.

They may have done, but that would be on the assumption that one of the most profitable bits of his empire was so fundamentally risky that it might pull everything down. And if it is seperate he would have lost major tax benefits and economies of scale (not having to sign off seperate audited accounts for example).

I'm not an accounting expert, but looking at companies house it appears that News of the World no longer trades seperately (it is a dormant company)

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/8ce1e637bf32977a799d51088a6470b7/compdetails
    It'll be a shame to see it go. NotW was no worse than any other paper. If people think the underhanded tactics they used were exclusive to that publication then they have no idea how wrong they are.

I liked NotW for the trashy stories, good escapism. I made cash from them over the years too, selling certain photos to them and they always paid the best money.
    Seems like Murdoch has caved in and dropped his bid for BSkb. Thank f**k for that.
    What else is he planning though, he has a history of doing something to surprise people when he is backed into a corner.
    Fingers crossed he does a Maxwell.

Anyway, he's certainly up to something. Of course both News International and BSkyB's share prices have dropped dramatically today; maybe in six months he thinks he'll get BSkyB on the cheap when the fuss has died down.
    Well isn't this the story that just keeps on giving?

200 jobs lost at NOTW, 2 senior News Intl execs have resigned. As of right now we've just had the second senior Met Officer go... A Judicial inquiry (in two parts) yet to come and you can bet your arse that there are going to be more revelations into what else was hacked (email etc).

So far, few people have even looked at the Information Commissioner's report which highlighted in 2006 that NOTW wasn't even close to being the worst offender when it came to using illegally obtanied information. To save you reading the report, the number or "transactions" is in brackets:
    1st - Daily Mail (952)
    2nd - Sunday People (802)
    3rd - Daily Mirror (681)
    4th - Mail on Sunday (266)
    5th - News of the World (228)

So, here's to many more revaletions and resignations. Sit back and enjoy as the whole rotten edifice slowly collapses.

NB Is it any wonder that the Daily Mail have been circling their wagons in the past week - publishing numerous stories about "press freedom" being under threat...?
    1st - Daily Mail (952)

NB Is it any wonder that the Daily Mail have been circling their wagons in the past week - publishing numerous stories about "press freedom" being under threat...?

Daily mail still upto their games. Had a snipe at the BBC this morning and on the weekend over the issue.
    Melanie Philpps article today was a corker indeed. Designed to divert attention as usual.