Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Womens problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
*possibly graphic*

My general health hasn't been fantastic over the last 6 months so I haven't really noticed aches and pains but over the last few weeks I've noticed I get lower back pain quite a alot and lower abdominal pain. My periods have always been heavy and painful but the last couple have been particularly vicious. I never use tampons (the thought of it grosses me out a bit haha) but I tried using one last period and had to whip it out straight away it was so painful. I'm 24 and haven't had sex for a year so just kind of put it down to that. Now I'm thinking I should get checked out, I'm not 25 till November so won't get called for a smear till then, can I just contact my doctor and get an appt with a nurse?
I don't know how these things work. I'm always freaking out that I have cancer or something. Please put my mind at else that it could be another problem.
Ta.

Comments

• Options
    anyone?
  • Options
    Contacting your doctor will probably be a good idea, I'm not an expert on this sort of thing but you will be able to contact your doctor and explain your symptoms and they may examine you or as you say, you may get an appointment with a nurse.
    You could also go to a sexual health clinic and get a check up.
  • Options
    I wouldn't have thought it would be cancer but, beyond that, it's hard to say.

Your symptoms seem to match endometriosis (pelvic pain, back pain, painful vagina, heavy menstruation) but it could just as equally be something and nothing brought on by the stress of the last six months. None of us can diagnose over the message board and we'll just end up scaring you if we try.

There's only one way to find out and that's to go and see the doctor.
  • Options
    You're entitled to a smear before you're called for one, just phone up and ask to see the nurse (for her to be ready for you, you will need to tell reception what the appointment is for).
  • Options
    You can get a smear, but realistically, if you're having really painful periods, your best starting point is probably a GP appointment rather than a smear.
  • Options
    thanks guys.
    I'm gonna book an appointment with my doctor tomorrow and chat to her and then go from there :)
  • Options
    I hope everything goes ok with the doctor - on the tampon front they are really hard to use and really easy to put in wrong even after years of using them I can still put one in in the wrong position and it hurts so much i have to take it out again.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    I hope everything goes ok with the doctor - on the tampon front they are really hard to use and really easy to put in wrong even after years of using them I can still put one in in the wrong position and it hurts so much i have to take it out again.

Well, if it's hard to take him out, it means that it isn't the right time to take it out. (:
  • Options
    Madame wrote: »
    Well, if it's hard to take him out, it means that it isn't the right time to take it out. (:

That's not what she said.

She said it hurts when it's in because it's not positioned properly so she has to take it out.
  • Options
    Oh, sorry. (:

So it's the wrong size or just she needs an apllicator to put tampon in the right place.
    But to me it's easy to do it without apllicator. :chin:
  • Options
    Some times you put them in wonky, applicator or no applicator and they hurt. Answer is simple. Wriggle around and see if fixes or take out and start over.

On your other point though, you should ALWAYS change tampons regularly, max every 6 hours, not 'when it's ready to come out'.
  • Options
    I now. (: But I said that, because my friend changed them every our, no matter that it wasn't full of blood.
  • Options
    dragging up my own old thread...

went for an ultrasound today and she said all looked ok but ill get the write in 10 days. so feeling calmer! will have some tests next week but hopefully nothing serious :)
  • Options
    dragging up my own old thread...

went for an ultrasound today and she said all looked ok but ill get the write in 10 days. so feeling calmer! will have some tests next week but hopefully nothing serious :)

I had an ultrasound for polycystic ovaries and she could tell straight away (as I'm told you can in tests for ovarian cancer), so nothing visible sounds very positive at this stage.