Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Under 18's events

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Having spent a little time working in public house/nightclub venues on the customer facing side and also on the corporate higher up side to; one thing that always had me wondering on ethics and legal issues were under 18 events.

I have worked a number of these events in the past, and for the most part they are usually trouble free, there was on the rare occasion the odd incident that tried to pass off as a fight (but was in fact a he/she started it squabble), but relatively trouble free.

The incidences that did bother me was when the odd kid collapsed on the dance floor, through the use of drugs and/or drink. Unless someone comes into the venue absolutely spaced off their faces with moon sized eyes then there isnt much you can do about it. This is almost the same with drink, but often you can smell it on those who have not bothered to have mouthwash/chewing gum.

Under 18 events are obviously drink free, but where does the responsibility of the club/venue extend to in regards to the safety of others. Would someone deem it unethical if police breathalysed children as they entered the venue, and how would you set the limit? If children had been drinking and it was a small amount would you still let them in and only refuse for massive amounts? Or would it be more ethical to operate a zero policy etc.

Searches are usually made at these kinds of events, and in some cases weapons and drugs (and drink) is sometimes found more often than you would think.

With kids as young as 13 at these events, and sometimes people as old as 17 who have been sexually active for some time and yet are still perhaps not used to being able to handle drink!

This is just a random rant/thought thing here, any comments and suggestions would be appreciated.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Licensees probably have less to worry about with these events because they do not sell alcohol. As you know, it's an offence to serve alcohol to someone who's intoxicated and there is a breach of a duty of care if the licensee does. If the kid is off their face on drink or drugs then, providing proper searches are carried out and the club doesn't sell the stuff itself, then that's a problem for the kid and their parents to deal with. People worry too much about health and safety legislation without really understanding what the law around it is.

IMHO you get more problems when they turn 18 and they are legally allowed to drink. I'm welfare officer at a students' union and part of my role involves being senior welfare rep at the Freshers' Ball; I'm used to the drunken abuse and the vomit now. The kids are far better behaved.
    I think as long as the management realise they've got a much higher duty of care, especially if you've got much younger kids coming in there isn't a problem.
    IMHO you get more problems when they turn 18 and they are legally allowed to drink. I'm welfare officer at a students' union and part of my role involves being senior welfare rep at the Freshers' Ball; I'm used to the drunken abuse and the vomit now. The kids are far better behaved.

I agree. Also having been on duty at sports' nights and freshers' events.

Make sure the door policy is to search people properly for drink and drugs (if in doubt, make it clear that all drinks will be confiscated) and don't allow people in who have gotten drunk beforehand, and you should be fine.