Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Teachers strike causes girls death

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Or at least the Daily Mail like to think so.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2010193/Teachers-strike-Sophie-Howard-13-killed-falling-branch-school-closed.html
Daily Mail wrote:
A teenage girl was crushed to death by a falling tree branch as she sat on a park bench yesterday.

The 13-year-old, named locally as Sophie Howard, was out with friends on the day her school was closed because of nationwide industrial action.

What caught my particular attention was this snippet from an angry parent.
One angry parent wrote on Twitter afterwards: 'she should have been safe at school, she was just sat on a bench talking with friends....it could have been my daughter.'

Just because this wouldnt have happened if the kid was at school, doesn't mean it is the teachers fault. Could have happened to her anyway on a weekend! This post isnt about the strikes or anything like that, its just another example of the Daily Fail being a bunch of total twats.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm not a fan of the strikes, but frankly its pushing it a bit to say that the teachers strike caused her death...
    'The fact is if the teachers were not on strike Sophie would have been at school and this would not have happened'

Thats like saying 'well if that person hadn't planted that tree 100 years ago then the branch would never have fallen'. Its so sad that it happened but i agree, you cant place blame on the teachers strike just cos you dont agree with it
    Whose to say that if the teachers weren't on strike, she would've been at school anyway?

Ridiculous. As much as I disagree with the strikes, it's mad to blame this on the strikes.
    That's gotta be a troll, surely? But you never know with the Daily Mail comments page.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Don't blame the teachers, blame the person who decided that would be a nice place for a bench.
    Don't the person who decided that would be a nice place for a bench, blame whomever planted that tree there.
    Don't blame whomever planted that tree there, blame whomever in that girl's group decided to go sit there.
    Or maybe blame her parents for living in that city.
    Or maybe blame them that she was even born.

You could go on forever. The fact is, none of these people have anything to do with what happened. That's what "accident" means.
    Does anyone else not take the DM seriously any more? Also, were council workers on strike?
    Melian wrote: »
    Does anyone else not take the DM seriously any more? Also, were council workers on strike?

People took the DM seriously?!
    I like to think that the only paper you can take seriously is The Sun....
    I like to think that the only paper you can take seriously is The Sun....

I like the sarcasm!
    theyre really scraping the barrel now.
    If the tories hadnt cut pensions, the teachers wouldnt have been striking, so therefore the tories killed her
    All the people who voted for the tories killed her!
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    All the people who voted for the tories killed her!

Actually all those who gave birth to them need to take a share of the blame too...
    The Persian despot Xerxes is supposed to have had the sea whipped after some of his army drowned. The blame game never really changes or gets any more convincing.
    Melian wrote: »
    I don't think council workers were on strike... Most of them are probably with Unison and Unite.
    Actually all those who gave birth to them need to take a share of the blame too...

I blame Margaret Thatcher and would like to see it flayed.

As for the Daily Mail what if game, if my aunty had bollocks she'd be me uncle.
    Does the Daily Mail writer actually say that it was the fault of the Teachers' Strike? Maybe I overlooked it, but it seems it was only quoting someone else claiming such.
    Does the Daily Mail writer actually say that it was the fault of the Teachers' Strike? Maybe I overlooked it, but it seems it was only quoting someone else claiming such.

Thats the thing, the story wouldnt have been news worthy by the mail if it had happened on any other day.