Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Afghan police chief visits Scotland Yard in London

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14002001
A police chief from Afghanistan is visiting Scotland Yard to learn about UK policing.

General Hakim Angar, chief of police in the Taliban stronghold of Helmand, southern Afghanistan, learned how crime is tackled in London.

He was shown a Met phone call handling centre in Lambeth. A similar system is to be put in place in his province.

Britain is part of an international effort to rebuild security in the country, training soldiers and police.
Suicide bombs

Met Commissioner Sir Paul Stephenson said: "New Scotland Yard is a natural place for foreign police chiefs to visit given the international reputation of the Metropolitan Police and I was very pleased to welcome General Angar.

"I outlined how London is policed as well as talking about our national responsibilities.

"We were then able to discuss some of the challenges facing policing, as well as the progress that is being made in Afghanistan."

General Angar told Sir Paul about the challenges of trying to build a police force against a backdrop of suicide bombs and terrorism.

He also outlined attempts to tackle corruption and reconcile complicated local laws and customs with policing.

So yes we are spending a lot of money over in Afghanistan at the moment, what do people think of this guys visit over here? Any thoughts on whether it will make a little bit of difference, or wasted money?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sometimes you just gotta try...
    In the mass scheme of things its not going to be expensive, and at the very worst it'll make no difference - at the best it may give him something to aspire too.

The real cost will be if the West pulls out and allows the Taliban and AQ a chance to regroup...
    Maybe we should send WhoWhere over there ;)
    I'd whip em into shape.

To be honest though, I know we have our faults but I do think the police here are world class. People may bitch and complain, but there's a reason foreign police chiefs come here to see how we do things and not the other way around, except neighbourhood policing which was an idea from Chicago which was an idea from us lol.