Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Hair dye

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, I am completely useless at all things hair related I admit!

I have had brown hair for about a year and a half and now want to go back to a more dark blonde colour...if I put a blonde hair dye on my hair is it all going to go dramatically wrong?! :chin:

Just to add my hair isn't as dark as it is in my picture, it's a bit lighter now :)

Comments

• Options
    Try not to go more than 2 shades lighter at a time or it can go quite dramatically orange.
  • Options
    Eeek...this is what I'm worried about! I might just do a strand test and see what happens :)
  • Options
    Is your hair dyed brown or naturally brown?

If it's dyed, I wouldn't recommend just slapping on a blonde dye as it'll probably end in disaster. You'll need to try and get some of the brown out first. There are some new colour-removers out at the mo that I've heard are pretty good. Be prepared to have to dye again with a permanent dye afterwards, though, to get your colour right. Your other option is to bleach it enough to lift the colour to where you want it, then dye again with a dark blonde because it'll be a funny carroty-yellow colour.

Definitely possible, but I'd say probably a two-step process!
  • Options
    Well I've tried colour b4 the colour remover and it really didnt work so atm it's got a semi permenant ash blonde on it that looks more brown than anything! I think I'm just going to have to resist dying it and let it fade and grow out :(

I refuse to have it stripped again as it killed my hair!!
  • Options
    I went from red-brown to ash blonde via a colour remover, but it took ages to get the carrot colour out (I didn't know ash was the only shade of blonde that does it effectively).
  • Options
    Yeah, ash colours are a godsend. Toner is also good for getting out pesky red or yellow tones. Wish I'd discovered that earlier in my life!
  • Options
    i agree with using a pre-lightener if youve already got dye on your hair, and also just going up a few shades at a time if not. I go on 'Hairextensionsforum' they have a natural cuts/colour section with really good advice :)
  • Options
  • Options
    It took me a while to get it my hair/brown to blonde, I just did it gradually, and it seemed to work for me doing it that way! But now that I've had my hair blonde for a while I think I want to back to what I was before,which is funny considering how much time it took me to get it to this colour!:crazyeyes