Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ear piercing

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So.

I have never had my ears pierced, and am now thinking about it. Questions. Does it hurt at the time? Does it hurt afterwards? How much effort do I need to put into after care?

Comments

• Options
    it doesnt hurt, loads of little girls have it done and i dont think they would if it was painful. when it goes in it throbs a bit after. thats all. i dont think it hurts after although i had mine pierced when i was 9 so i cant remember too well...aftercare is minimal, clean it with the solution they give you once or twice a day. bam done. its good with ear lobes, they heal really well and dont hurt whereas if it was a different part of your ear id be saying totally different. go for it!
  • Options
    I had a second hole in my lobes in October and it hurt less than I remembered. It's like wearing metallic earrings too long, it just aches for a day or so.

The after care is really easy, and most places will supply a cleaning lotion. If not, regular antiseptic (in liquid form) applied to the ear with a cotton bud daily is all you need.
  • Options
    when you have it done it's a bit of a shock but it's not all that painful, i was about 10 and i cried but i think it was more shock and excitement than actual pain. you have to keep your first pair of earrings in for a few months and put the solution on every day for a while. and if they ever get sore, a bit more of the solution will make it better. i've never had any trouble with mine at all, as long as i wear sterling silver.
  • Options
    If you will pierce your ear nipple, it wouldn't get hurt. I pierced lots of my body spots by myself, and believe me, it's OK.
  • Options
    Madame wrote: »
    If you will pierce your ear nipple, it wouldn't get hurt

Do you mean earlobe?

I quite like the idea of an ear nipple.
  • Options
    You would have to take care of it!! My little sister (4 years old) Got hers done the other day and her's had to be looked after constantly because it was the first time she had done it, you would need to make sure it doesn't get infected it and clean it at least once a day preferably before going to bed, you get this cream for it, and you can buy cotton buds you just put it around your ear ring, that is meant to stop it getting infected....

Take care!! x
  • Options
    got my earlobes done when I was about 19 or 20. I went into the shop having psyched myself up for excruciating pain... went into the room where the piercer showed me the needle... (didn't help!) by this time I was wanting to get out of there... she then stood by me and said "I'm going to do it now". By the time she finished the sentence she had done it :rolleyes: It wasn't painful at all! The second stung a little as I was expecting her to do it before she finished the sentence again. But defiantly not bad! Think pricking yourself with a sewing needle kind of pain.
  • Options
    ~
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    get a big blob of saliva on the end of the earring and it will slip right through painlessly.

Can I recommend water instead- you're spit has lots of bacteria in it and therefore increases the chance of infection (yeah, so technically water has bacteria in too, but a lot less!)
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    Do you mean earlobe?

I quite like the idea of an ear nipple.

I didn't know how to say. : D But yes, I was talking about earlobe
  • Options
    ~
  • Options
    The only thing I can add is:

Don't go to Claire's.

I actually can't wear earrings anymore (I can wear sterling silver for a day or two, but not any longer than that) because they get infected, and I got the top of my ear done there and I have a big old lump of displaced cartilage and I can't wear anything in it at all. *grumble*
  • Options
    The only thing I can add is:

Don't go to Claire's.

Don't use a gun at all!
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    Don't use a gun at all!
    This. Just dont use one. My lobes where done with them and they got so crappy I havent been able to wear any earrings for about two years. My cartlidges where done by needle and they have been fine. If you have any nickle-sensitivty, dont use anything gold plated, ask for something like surgical grade stainless steel which is likely to cause a reaction. My nickel sensitivity is quite bad but I havent had any problems with surgical grade stainless steel.

The aftercare isnt too bad, but you do need to take care while its healing.

Talk to your friends and see if anyone has had a pericing and who they would recommend. Go and see the place talk to staff and see if you like it. They hsould be quite happy to talk about the process, aftercare, what hygiene procedures they have etc.
  • Options
    I have my ears done twice, both time went to Claire's, had them done with a gun, never had any problems. Well except for one of the second piercings, the girl pushed it in too far so now the hole is now bigger than the earring and it used to get pushed in while i slept and start to heal over. It all fine now so doesnt start to scab over in the night but i still have to sometimes push it back out. Ok that sounded so much more gross than it actually is
  • Options
    I had my lobes done (both times) at Claire's, but definitely agree that guns should not go anywhere near cartiledge.
  • Options
    I'm sure the majority of people around our age had their ear lobes pierced with a gun and probably only a few had problems, but that doesn't mean it is a safe or a wise idea. With all the easily accessable information out there and being old enough to make the decision, why not go for the safer option. It isn't just about the gun either, the jewelry used and after care that you are told can be a big issue as well like butterfly backs and telling you to spin the earrings so the skin doesn't grow onto it.
  • Options
    my name wrote: »
    I'm sure the majority of people around our age had their ear lobes pierced with a gun and probably only a few had problems, but that doesn't mean it is a safe or a wise idea. With all the easily accessable information out there and being old enough to make the decision, why not go for the safer option. It isn't just about the gun either, the jewelry used and after care that you are told can be a big issue as well like butterfly backs and telling you to spin the earrings so the skin doesn't grow onto it.

Wise words. I was just trying to add the balance really so people who'd already had piercings with guns and were reading the thread didn't panic!

SM, listen to my name and get a piercer with a needle!
  • Options
    I went to a place in Camden and had them done with a needle. No problems :)
  • Options
    I went to a place in Camden and had them done with a needle. No problems :)

That's how I had my cartilege and nose done. Again no problems at all :)
  • Options
    So, somewhere with a needle, and probably not a great idea to get it done in the few weeks before I got to live in a field for 3 weeks.

For someone with skin that has a tendancy to react to all and sundry - stainless steel is probably the best option?
  • Options
    I strongly disagree with the use of piercing guns, they're unprofessional and they can leave a dirty piercing unlike a needle. Also, how many other people have been pierced with it? A simple wipe won't stop all bacteria. All my piercings have been with normal needles apart from my tongue, which used a unique design from a certain piercers (which has moved now).

The timing you get it done shouldn't really bother you, buy some antiseptic spray if you're cautious. I bought some today because of my hayfever playing up, and I got my septum pierced only on Saturday so just playing it safe. Stainless steel is usually the norm because of allergic reactions, you can always ask for that or plastic/steel keepers. You should be able to take your own along and get it cleaned and prepared (and checked for quality) by the piercers and have that put in right away.
  • Options
    it does not hurt what so ever i have 3 piercings in each ear you do need to look after them other wise they will get infected and go all YUK :D
  • Options
    here we get the guns freash out of the pack and i have not had any problems with mine :)
  • Options
    Definitely get piercing done at a piercer's with a needle, for lobes or cartilage! Surgical steel can still contain a small amount of nickel; titanium is most advisable as it doesn't react with the body at all so healing should be faster (link: http://www.jobananas.com/materials-guide.html Would bathe piercing for 10 mins every few days in saline solution (pure sea salt, not table salt, dissolved in hot water - 1/4 teaspoon to 1/2 pint of water) for 6 weeks at least and avoid going swimming in that time