Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Who do I talk to?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Right, so I'm trying to decide whether I go back to university in September.

I guess what I really need to do is talk it out, all the pros and cons. But I don't know who to talk to. My parents are being rubbish. When I told my mum I was ill and worried about exams she was all like "It doesn't matter, you need to concentrate on getting better blah blah blah", but then when I told her I'd actually failed it was a whole different story.

I have only told two of my friends (ignored the texts from all the others asking how I did), and they're also my housemates who obviously want me to go back so they don't have the hassle of finding a new housemate ;). And my friends here keep saying that I can do it even though I don't think I have it in me.

I need to make a decision soon, because I either need to look at moving out, find a job etc. or work my arse off so I'm ready for year 2.

It is pretty much all I have thought about this week and I'm still no closer to a decision.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A good sabb or welfare adviser should be able to talk through your options, or even your department administrator if they're generally sympathetic.

If you want to try bouncing things off me I'm on PM.
    Do you have a tutor?

Or a friendly lecturer or supervisor?

In a nut shell, the key thing to consider when you're looking at whether or not to go back is will next year be different?

You failed your exam, that's a given.

Were you struggling all the way through the year and not really keeping up and the exam was a fair reflection of the whole year?

Were you doing OK throughout the year, and things went down hill around the exam for no good reason?

Were you doing OK throughout the year and there was a particular problem around exam time?

Was the problem with the exam a one of blip that is highly unlikely to ever happen again?

Was the problem with the exam something that might come up again, but could be managed better next time to reduce the impact?

Was the problem with the exam something that will keep coming up again and again and again and you're going to have problems doing a course that relies on exams as you're likely to keep failing?

You don't need to try and answer any of these questions on here, but they're the kind of things to be looking at trying to answer honestly for yourself, as that will help to give you a steer which way might make the most sense.

Someone from the department who knows you and your standard of work through the year could be good, or a uni officer. Or if you know any 2nd or 3rd years on your course - ask them. They'll quite probably know of someone who's been in a similar position.
    That always annoys me when parents say one thing, and then do another.
    Thanks guys.

Just an update, I've decided to go back.

I figure that I don't really have a clue what to do if I don't go back, and it is something that I still really want to do if I can.

If stuff does get bad, I can take a break and restart year 2 next year, or carry on and retake year 2 which isn't really that uncommon because it is one of the hardest years to pass anyway.

Soooo I better start working!
    :thumb: I think you're doing the right thing, for what it's worth
    Sounds like a good plan to me.

Wanted to let you get to that decision by yourself, but having watched over the last year that would have been my suggestion. Draw a line under things, knuckle down and work and kick arse in those resits.

xx
    that's good that you have decided to go back to university. my father always told me that education plays great role when you apply for a job. so if you want to have a good one and the one that you will enjoy - you have to study, you have to learn.
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hey funstudent,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to this thread, however it was started back in the summer and yellowseahorse will have made this decision by now. It's best to just glance up at the dates of when the posts were made before replying.

I am going to close this thread now, but if you would like to chat about anything student related please feel free to start a new thread in the student forum.

Thanks,
    LauraO
This discussion has been closed.