Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is it fair I have to pay?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
To avoid silly details, I wanted to sell something, mate had a look for a buyer for me, found one, got scammed, now he owes paypal the money and expects me to pay for it all and leave me out of pocket and no longer in possession of what I was selling.

I dunno if it's fair cuz he's the one who got it scammed not me, but i'm the one who trusted him to sell it..i was thinking split the loss but not sure.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    if it was a close friend i was bothered about keeping, id say split the loss, but otherwise its his own fault.

shit for him if he was only trying to help though
    Yeah he was trying to help, but im out of pocket £50 because of his stupidity, im a student too so it's worth a fair bit to me.
    what was the thing and what happened?

If you handed something over before you got the money, youre as much to blame,no?
    Since we don't know the situation, I don't know if this would be applicable, but have you checked with paypal to see if or what they can do to help you resolve this situation?
    Is it listing fees that are owed to paypal or something?

I dont understand how someone selling something can be out of pocket AND lose the item?

Plus if he was scammed, it is hardly fair to call him stupid, but if I was him then I wouldnt bother you for money to cover up my own fuckups.
    I think you should pay the fees, he wouldn't have got scammed if he didn't try to help you, and maybe he'll learn to be more careful. If the item is tangible, then PayPal shouldn't really make him lose the case if you can prove you were scammed. Though with PayPal you can't be bloody sure.

G-Raf, the reason why they lost the item and out of pocket is because PayPal can be absolute idiots sometimes. They've obviously paid for the item, sent the item, and then the buyer has done a charge back through PayPal saying they've probably not received the item and PayPal has sided with them.
    Nah it's virtual goods and paypal did an investigation and it came out in the buyers favour, resolved now though after some convincing I got my friend to pull his finger out and pay half.

Don't think people understood the situation here.

I wanted to sell virtual goods.
    He offered to find buyer, found one and he was a sour buyer (his fault for finding a buyer with no rep or vouches)
    My fault for letting him find one when it's my items should do it myself.
    No, its his fault for fucking up.
    Ah well virtual goods aren't covered by PayPal, they basically just close the case in the buyers favor.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    Ah well virtual goods aren't covered by PayPal, they basically just close the case in the buyers favor.

This isn't true. Paypal does cover Virtual Goods
    I'm going to use the example of ingame currency like World of Warcraft "Gold".
    That's a virtual good.

If you're to sell something like gold, or anything else virtual, that once you've sent you can't get back. You should always make sure the buyer put in the payment info
    "This is a payment for virtual goods I have already received, I will not dispute or claim charge back"
    Although that isn't law, it just allows you to say that well they've agreed to this when they sent the money.
    Always record sending people virtual items, i.e screenshots and video's for evidence, aswell as recording all conversations with the user and all emails. To help submit them to PayPal, allows you to have stuff to fall back on.

Although if i ever sell any Virtual goods i ALWAYS make the buyer pay using the "Gift" option, purely because it saved on fee's, there is no way they can chargeback unless it's fraud, which they'd have to prove some how. And i still follow everything above.

Just like you wouldn't post real to a buyer, until you've had full payment in your bank account, and you've got proof of postage + a tracking number. In this world, you really do need to research things, and make sure you stay safe whenever possible, you slip up, someone will make the most of it and scam you. Specially on the internet, as you don't have to have morals or to be a human being with feelings.

Be careful next time, also don't let friends manage finances. And clearly state, "If you fuck up and loose my stuff, then you're paying for it." Because at the end of the day, you're trusting them, to know exactly what they're doing. And When there is money involved you need to make sure you know what's going on.

Also by law, if it's his Paypal account then just tell him "No your fault." And he can't do anything.
    Try calling up PayPal, they normally listen to your case and understand you better, and more willing to go in your favour.
    Just remember evidence is the key, PROVE you sold it and gave it to them.
    Why do people hand over the stuff they're selling before the money has cleared.....