Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

mini makeovers at department store counters

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone had one of those makeovers they do in places like house of fraser / debenhams?

I have some time off and will be having a shopping day, thought i might treat myself to one of these

are they normally free? do you get pestered to buy the products?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I had my done at a Benefit counter, I got offered it when I bought a product and she said to me I wouldn't have to buy anything when I came back.
    I went back and had it and it was really nice as she told me exactly what she was doing and why she chose the products she did, she also asked what sort of look I wanted and explained each product :) I did buy something after it, but I guess you dont have to :)

Go in and ask, you never know they might use a product you'll love!:heart:
    thanks!

i was hoping to see what either benefit / MAC / urban decay / origins stuff is like

so do you think i could just go up to the counter and ask for them to try some stuff on me?

thing is i'm unlikely to buy anything from the shop, if i like anything that expensive i'd rather write down what it is and what colour and then see how cheap i can get it on the internet. plus i wouldnt want to buy it there & then without testing how long it lasts so i'd want to see what i looked like at the end of the day wearing it

but i dont want one of those awkward moments where i was kinda expected to buy something...
    Benefit is free, no obligation to buy.

MAC is £50, redeemable on product. (i.e. you go get a makeover, you pay £50 or buy £50+ in product)

No idea about UD or Origins.

From personal experience, MAC and Urban Decay are generally very good, although Urban Decay are more consistently good than MAC (some of their stuff is awful).

If you want recommendations, you don't need a makeover, you just need me ;). But they can be good for showing you how to use the products. One thing I will say is that MAC in particular are all about selling you what they're using on you.

Incidentally, I'd be very wary about what you can get online for cheap. What looks like a bargain is more often than not a fake, unless you go to selling communities and journals on LiveJournal (I can give you recommendations for good sellers on there, too, although it's been a while since I've been on there so Amira (Aphrodite) might be better to ask for that).

Alternatively, I have a bunch of stuff I would like to get rid of :flirt:.
    Blah wrote: »
    I dont want one of those awkward moments where i was kinda expected to buy something...

You could tell them that it's your birthday/other event and your mum/sister/whatever wants to buy you some make up, but wants to get something that'll suit you. That way they write you all the details down but don't pressure you to buy there and then.

I've had one with the Benefit lady in Debenhams, and she was very good and not at all sales-y! :)
    iv had one at a benefit counter too at debenhams and it was really good, the lady was absolutely lovely and listened to what i was asking for etc. personally i would have felt embarassed not buying anything but luckily i liked the products so much i did buy quite a few, but that was the whole point of it anyway :) im sure they have people who dont buy things all the time.
    I've had one done at a Benefit counter too and I didn't feel any pressure to buy anything. The stuff was great but after a while it mixed with my oily skin and wasn't that great.
    Kaff wrote: »
    You could tell them that it's your birthday/other event and your mum/sister/whatever wants to buy you some make up, but wants to get something that'll suit you. That way they write you all the details down but don't pressure you to buy there and then.

I've had one with the Benefit lady in Debenhams, and she was very good and not at all sales-y! :)

Yep ive been to benefit as well and they were very good. This idea is really good, i might try this out!
    I've had loads of consultations at various counters, mainly because I'm still looking for the absolute holy grail of foundation. I've got about 6 which are pretty damn close to perfect but just aren't quite there. Anyway.

I never buy anything after a makeover. I'll go away and think about it and then decide if I want to purchase a product after seeing how it lasts and what it looks like in natural daylight. Personally I've found that the makeup girls apply the products very well but don't always consider what might actually suit you in terms of style or enhancement.

The last one I had done was at Bobbi Brown because I was interested in their new Alabaster shade of stick foundation (very good if any other pale faces are interested) - however after being told I was after a natural look the girl decided to put masses of black eyeshadow on me. Wasn't impressed. No good at all for the office and it made my eyes look tiny and almost receded into my head. Obviously that's very much dependent on the individal girl who does your makeover though.

MAC always always try to colour match my skin to a tangerine. I've fallen out with them big style.
    The best places I've found for getting recommendations for stuff like MAC and Bobbi Brown (and other places which are largely about the sell when you go to the counters) are MakeUpAlley and Specktra, which are communities/forums for people to talk about this stuff. They often do swatches on their skin so you can see how it will look and whatever, and MUA in particular has reviews if you're looking for a specific product.

Also: MAC freestanding stores are usually a bit less pushy on the selling you shit front than counters. Counters usually have at least half a dozen competitors right on their doorstep, whereas stores (if you can find one - there's one in Brum, one in Bluewater, a couple in London, don't know about anywhere else I'm afraid) know that you're there to look at THEIR stuff.
    I've really wanted to get one of those makeovers done, but I never have because I don't like the idea of it being done in front every one in the store, you know in a department store, lots of people walking past and staring etc.. :no:
    Thanks to all replies! i havent been on in a few days and forgot i had posted this thread

Im edging towards finding a benefit lady (or man!) when i go shopping tomorrow. If i dont chicken out! think i'll leave this part till last in case they make me look stupid and then i have to walk around town looking like an idiot/giant walking satsuma
    Thanks to all replies! i havent been on in a few days and forgot i had posted this thread

Im edging towards finding a benefit lady (or man!) when i go shopping tomorrow. If i dont chicken out! think i'll leave this part till last in case they make me look stupid and then i have to walk around town looking like an idiot/giant walking satsuma

Good luck, be brave unlinke me! I'm sure they will not make you look like an idiot!

The good thing about Benefit is that they tend to focus on your skin and most of their stuff is natural/nude look stuff, so the likelihood of stupid-looking is small :D

Post pictures when you do it!
    I had a benefit lady in new york who made me look like some kind of weird doll - but dont' let that put you off its probably just a weird american thing.

I would say that your more likely to get a good make over if you go on a day when its quite quiet and the make up lady doesnt' have much to do.

Also one of my friends worked in virgin v and had to do make overs with no training what so ever - whilst another of my friends had done a year at college doing hair and beauty before being taken on by MAC
    i ran out of time so didnt get it done

but will post an update when i finally do it!
    Next time you've got a party or some event go to benefit and I'm sure they'll do it!
    I'm going to try ring the girl who did mine a few months ago and see if she can book me in for friday for my prom! :D
    I have had many done, especially when feeling a bit "BLAH".

I know for a fact that benefit does it for free, however after looking at most of the people who work there, well in my area anyway, I would never want my make up done by them.

Depending on which sales assistant, time of day etc. MAC usually do amazing make ups. Like I had one done about an hour before the shop closed, but the women gave me a make up with a foundation that has literally changed my life. As it is my identical colour and looks flawless and perfect :)

Another make up counter that I would strongly ask you to go and try is Bobbi Brown. They know everything about make up including the science behind skin and make up. Is very professional and treat you very well. They also have mini lessons for their customers.

Hope this helped :)
    i had one by a girl at benefit, again didn't feel under pressure to buy any of the products. just kinda fell in love with some of their stuff. if you are shy like me just hover by the counter and they usually ask if you'd like one
    Try Illamasqua if you're after something slightly alternative! I'm not a fan for Benefit make-up full stop, but I've got very pale skin, and I'm not into neutral colours and fashion make-up. MAC products are great, but some of their staff want to make them look like them, rather than enhancing your own features, but if you let them know clearly what you're after beforehand they should bear that in mind...
    ive had makeovers in stores a couple of times. Ive had one at the bodyshop and benefit, and both times they put way too much makeup on me and i left feeling self conscious and it was a waste of time
    Sometimes I think the best way to have a makeover is to have a make-up lesson from a professional artist (yes, some of the staff from the consessions will be trained artists, but most won't, and those that are often don't have the time to really spend looking at what works for you, plus they will often will have been briefed to give you a style thats in that season) and have a really clear idea of what your likes and dislikes are as regards to types of products, and what kind of style you're going for.