Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

The Site chat.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
A couple of suggestions for the various TheSite chat's that go on...

1. MOST important to me, and EASIEST to do:
- Post a facebook status on TheSites facebook 15 mins before chat starts.

2. Require forum login for the chat, impersonation not frequent but can happen. Only if name is already taken on the forums, if not no registration required or forum login.

3. Switch to IRC? I wish to be able to chat whilst on a portable device, which i can do through many platforms, i just think IRC is best for everyone. Allows for proper moderation by the admins of the chat. You can have bots and filters, MoTD and rules that show up every time you login. Easy online javawebclients are free, and anyone can use. The Java chat clients that you can use for IRC can be configured so that TheSite chat is default, to keep it easy.

Also, i know that some people are thinking, why should they only do this for you? I'm willing to program, and design everything i've asked for, and submit to TheSite for their approval, only because i know there are a few out there that would enjoy this.

(To be completely honest the current TheSite chat looks like it is just a dumbed down IRC chan, although don't take offence to me saying dumbed down, it's just the best way of being simplified.)

Just my two cents.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    No offence meant here, but I know that a few (but not all) users of thesite would be put off by having to "master" IRC or downloading a program etc. This place is all about accessibility. I think one of the tenets about the chat is that a few people who lurk on the boards but are not registered, have come into chat in the past and talked about issues, some do go on to register but not all.

As for the impersonation thing, I totally get where you are coming from, but perhaps sometimes people want to remain anonymous in chat, or perhaps hide who they are on the boards etc for whatever reason.
    Okay i'll edit my first post as you do have some fair points.
    Although ease of access?
    You don't have to master IRC, the Java web applets look exactly the same as the current TheSite chat :) No learning required, unless you want to do more advanced things, but likely won't be available keeping it simple.

And an update on the login with forum information, maybe you only have to login if that username is taken. For example, if i went on TheSite chat, and i put my name as "Fuuubar" it should say "This is name is registered please enter forum password, or pick a different name" Purely, because i've see shenanigans going on.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    When it comes to notifications, you could go on the Calendar on top of any forum page and subscribe to the chat events.
    I've not seen any 'shenanigans' and I've been using chat for a long while.

It strikes me that a lot of users first come to TheSite community through chat and the current format facilitates that very well. I believe - though I may be wrong - that the mods are looking into upgrading so it can be used on mobile already.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Chat works fine, there's never really an issue with impersonation- you can normally spot regulars because you know their writing style. It doesn't matter what username I use (i use variations depending on what mood I'm in) people can tell it's me.

As for IRC, it's a pain in the arse if you don't know how to use it.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hey Fuuubar,
    Thanks loads for this - great to see you getting in on the chat action. :d

I'd echo piccolo here...
    piccolo wrote: »
    I've not seen any 'shenanigans' and I've been using chat for a long while.

It strikes me that a lot of users first come to TheSite community through chat and the current format facilitates that very well. I believe - though I may be wrong - that the mods are looking into upgrading so it can be used on mobile already.

Indeed, Patrick (El_Gringo) has started testing a range of software with an emphasis on mobile use.

In terms of the notification - the Facebook idea is a really good one and I know Wayne posted there when the boards were down beofre so I see no reason why we can't do that from now on. :thumb:
    Thank you :) Facebook was what i was hoping for, the other were just a long shot out there :)
    I do also love how the Admins here, reply quicker to a random thread. Than my mobile phone company who i pay £60 a month too. Win :)
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :d
  • patrick*gringo*patrick*gringo* Posts: 147 Helping Hand
    Thanks Fuuubar - as Helen says we're currently scoping what software's out there in terms of chat. We're currently using Real Chat and it would be great is anyone's got any suggestions of chat software they think we should be taking a look at.

Flash-based chat, Java-based chat, IRC clients - nothing's automatically off limits.

As Arctic Roll and G-Raffe have pointed out- a key concern is simplicity and accessibility. But that said, we're open to considering the merits of any new solutions :yippe:

It's also worth pointing out that we're using chat as a tool for all sorts of other work, such as keeping in touch with volunteers - so your suggestions may be taken up - even if we don't necessarily use them for TheSite.org's chats.
    El Gringo wrote: »
    Thanks Fuuubar - as Helen says we're currently scoping what software's out there in terms of chat. We're currently using Real Chat and it would be great is anyone's got any suggestions of chat software they think we should be taking a look at.

Flash-based chat, Java-based chat, IRC clients - nothing's automatically off limits.

As Arctic Roll and G-Raffe have pointed out- a key concern is simplicity and accessibility. But that said, we're open to considering the merits of any new solutions :yippe:

It's also worth pointing out that we're using chat as a tool for all sorts of other work, such as keeping in touch with volunteers - so your suggestions may be taken up - even if we don't necessarily use them for TheSite.org's chats.

That's cool :) If you ever need any help and such with these things, or a free web programmer or something. I'm always available to lend a hand.