Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tricky job-hunting situation

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey everyone.

I could use some advice for the awkward situation I'm in at the moment.

The deal is that I had an operation last november to fix hip dysplasia. I took out a claim for income support allowance so I could have something to live on. I had to go to a standard medical assesment for the claim in April. I mentioned that I suffer from spastic triplegia on the medical form and was waiting for a consultation from the surgeon in may. I got a letter from the doctor after the examination saying that there was nothing wrong with me and that I'm fit for any kind of work. The awkward part is that when I saw the surgeon, he said that I have to have all the metal work taken out in 5 months time.

I had to sign on after but my physiotherapist agrees that may struggle to cope in a work related environment. I realise that given the current job market being picky isn't an option and I feel that because I haven't fully recovered then that will hurt my chances of finding a job. Alot of jobs that I've come across I'm either inexperienced or physically unable to do.

I really do want to work because I've been stuck indoors with nothing to do for over a year and just want to get my start.

Any advice?

Comments

• Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hi Akuma :wave:

Sounds as though you are getting a bit of conflicting advice and opinions from the doctor and from your surgeon and physiotherapist. Your Doctor seems to think you are ready for work, but your physiotherapist thinks you may struggle. You also need to have a further operation to remove the metal in a few months time, do you know how long this will mean you won't be able to work for? However, on top of all this it sounds like you are itching to get back to work because you're getting bored.

Can I ask what type of work you are looking for? Are you looking in a particular field or for a specific type of job?

You probably need to think carefully about whether you personally feel ready to go back to work or not. You don't want to rush yourself if your not physically ready and you're the best person to know exactly how you're feeling. If you don't feel ready it might be a good idea to speak to your doctor again and explain what the physiotherapist said.

Alternatively, if you do feel ready perhaps you could consider some options to ease you back into it such as working part-time or looking for a job that you can work from home? You could also think about volunteering which is a good way to ease you back into work, and something constructive to do if you're feeling bored whilst also developing skills for work :) There are lots of virtual volunteering opportunities that you could get involved with from your home too.

I hope that helps, do let us know what type of jobs you are looking for though, as people may have advice to help more specifically.

LauraO