Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

No luck with job applications

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been trying to get a job but I'm having the worst luck ever! :( Game never got back to me (I'm guessing it's a "no" at this point). Another place said my application wasn't being considered because it was handed in late, even though I posted it first class a week before the deadline!

And today I've gotten an email from Ikea thanking me for attending their interview but that I haven't got the job. This is despite the fact that they never asked me to go to an interview (and I didn't randomly turn up for one either) and have been taunting me with emails for the past 2 weeks. A few days ago they sent me a monitoring form to fill out, why did they waste my time with their stupid form if they were just going to tell me I didn't do well enough in their imaginary interview anyway!?!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Although it is a different story for make believe interviews, for many real interviews companies will not let you know either way as it costs for a phone call or stamp/envelope.

Those that do, at least they are nice enough to do it and let you know. I remember years ago I must have applied for about 90 million different jobs and never heard anything back, I then had an interview for mcdonalds, got accepted, then heard back from nearly every other job I had applied for and must have taken their time.

My brother is going through the same thing looking for jobs at the moment. He has just finished uni and is applying for literally anything and everything, he is finding it a struggle.
    I'm having a hard time, too, even though I'm pretty well-qualified for the jobs I'm applying for.
    It's a tough job market out there... And even though a lot of people can walk the walk, the issue is talking the talk...

Paperclip, how many jobs have you applied for? How are your CV and covering letters looking?

Don't be offended if they don't get back to you... At the end of the day, they may receive hundreds of CVs/applications and not have the resources to get back to every individual. Also, a lot of it is done online, with those stupid personality tests, which filter people out that way/

Are you mostly applying online? Are you using sites like Linked In as well?

I was looking for work for a year before I got my current job (I have co-ran recruitment workshops and worked on the employer side of my place as well... If only I knew then what I know now :rolleyes:), I literally sent hundreds of CVs and had ten interviews... A folly of mine was hammering sites like Reed, or applying for jobs when I didn't fit the spec, or not tailoring my CV and covering letter carefully to each vacancy.
    I'm sorry to hear other people have been having problems too! It's so frustrating putting in all that time and effort for nothing! :(

Namaste, I edit my covering letter and CV for the different jobs I apply for and I thought they were good but I'm not so sure anymore! I've been looking in lots of places for jobs and just applying whatever way they say to really.

I've never even heard of Linked In though! I'll go google it now....
    I feel your pain. Employers treat jobseekers like dirt. A generic, sorry you have not been called to interview email costs nothing.
    JanePerson wrote: »
    I feel your pain. Employers treat jobseekers like dirt. A generic, sorry you have not been called to interview email costs nothing.

It does though, time. Time = money.
    What when you can reply to multiple people with one click? Its lazziness. They should not say that they will respond to every candidate when they have no intention of doing so.

Many of the seniors where I work come in after ten and leave before four so they obviously don't struggle to get everything done in the working day.
    Yes, but why if they are paying someone should they take the time to reply to people who are not going to work for them.

It might take a short time to write the email, but what about businesses that have asked you to submit applications on paper, they would have to manually type in each email address. Even if applications are online, having to go through each CV and copy and paste emails etc. Also what if people dont have or dont submit their email address. Is it fair to contact some and not others.

As harsh at it sounds, it would indeed be a courtesy to let people know they were unsucessful, but people can always ring up themselves.
    When we did recruitment at my old workplace we set up a database of applicants for admin purposes as soon as we received the application. It was then a matter of minutes to create a mail merge based on not being put forward for interview and send an email by mail merge. Barely any extra work at all but if you care about the public image of your company it's worth doing.
    That it what I was thinking would be a cracking idea. It always the little things that make people appreciate life I think, like getting an acceptance or rejection for a job.

Think of it this way, how many competitions are there these days where they will only tell you if you have won, and wont sent any communications if you have not?

There is also the possibility that some businesses have thought about doing mail merge type things, but someone that doesnt understand the data protection act doesnt want to risk being sued if something goes wrong, which is a shame really.
    What when you can reply to multiple people with one click? Its lazziness. They should not say that they will respond to every candidate when they have no intention of doing so.

Many of the seniors where I work come in after ten and leave before four so they obviously don't struggle to get everything done in the working day.
    When I worked for a recruitment campaign for a major store... One of our jobs had over 1000 applicants. I agree with setting up a separate Email account and an auto-response, but I'd put something like "if you're not contacted after two weeks, you have been unsuccessful". Or maybe I would create a separate Email folder to hold the applications which were good and fire off an auto-response to the others... Depends on whose applying.

I think it depends n what you're looking for... More people are out of work in some fields than others. Also, if you advertise through those sites like Reed, where you can just click to send a CV, some people do go all trigger happy and fire off as many applications as they can find, rather than spend a few hours on a CV.
    I feel your pain. Employers treat jobseekers like dirt

Job market today defo favours those hiring. So many people getting frustrated applying, desperate for money. When you're called for interview its power- you turn up, sell yourself. Even though interviewers are civil in your face, deep inside they think 'scum'- don't want you, fault finding and as long as they get someone to fill vacancy all other applicants are treated with contempt