Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Job Seekers Allowance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
~

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    If you're available for and seeking work, yes. You will also either need to meet the either the contributions test or the income based test.
    You can, but be aware of the Conservatives Work Programme scheme before you sign on. They could fast-track you to Stage 3 (like they LOVE to do) and send you on these stupid courses for the meantime. Which would waste your time and money. But they don't care. It cuts their figures and fools the public into thinking unemployment is falling. Talk to your local JCP over it.
    ~
    It's not that you're not eligible, it's that you're treated as having a joint income so for the income-assessed JSA his income will be taken into account. His income won't be taken into account for contributions-based JSA, which you will be eligible for if you've doen enough work in the last three tax years.
    ~
    It's based on the NI earnings thresholds, which change every year.

Basically you have to have:

a) been paid more than the lower earnings threshold (currently £102pw) for at least 26 weeks in at least one of the last two tax years. The 26 weeks do not have to be consecutive but have to be within one tax year.

b) been paid more than 50 times the current lower earnings threshold (currently £102pw) in each of the last two complete tax years prior to the current benefit year (i.e. tax years 2008/09 and 2009/10).

I say basically but, of course, I jest. Best thing to do is stick a claim in and let the DWP work it out.
    ~