Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Implant VS IUS

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just starting going to the sexual dysfunction clinc (which is actually a good thing after years of having issue around sex), and I've been asked to consider the implant or the IUS. I've had an implant before, and i was told that it had caused me ovarian cysts which would cause me problems. it had but they wouldn't have caused any problems aparently. But regardless, I had it taken out.

I've never tried the IUS. I guess its being suggested because i have to spend a day in bed and on codeine every month on the first day of my period. I'm a little concerned about the potential problems with it, but just because I didn't have a vast amount of issues with the implant doesn't mean I won't this time.

Can the IUS be taken out before the 5 years? I've like to start trying for kids within 3-5 years, so I'd also like something that i'm not going to have to wait for months and months for my cycle to kick in again.

I can't take the pill because I'm prone to spells of depression and my weight fluctuates, and my mother had 2 eptopic preganancies with a failed coil. So, these are pretty much my last two choices. My partner had a circumcision over a year ago, so condoms really reduce the sensation for him, we're not having much sex right now because of my "stuff", but it would be nice to make it much easier when I have sorted myself out a bit.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i think its worth trying, and yes you can get it taken out at any point if it either doesnt agree with you, or you want to try for a baby. Getting it removed is quick and painless.
    The IUS has a lower does of hormone than other contraceptive devices and so your ability to conceive will often return quicker than if you take the implant or the pill.

Having the IUS inserted can hurt quite a bit, especially if (as with my wife) they don't offer anaesthetic. But it can be removed at any point quite easily if it doesn't agree with you or if you want to start a family and it apparently doesn't hurt being removed. It also has the benefit of reducing the severity and pain of period cramps; indeed, my wife stopped periods pretty much altogether when she had it put in, and other friends are the same. It's definitely worth trying.
    With the IUS, I am a little concerned about the possiblity of ectopic pregnancy, but I do like that its got a lower concentration of the hormone and thus less likely to give me mood swings and things like that...is that right?
    NHS choices say there's an increased chance of ectopic pregnancy compared to other contraceptive devices, but as you're unlikely to fall pregnant you're actually less likely to get an ectopic pregnancy than if you don't use any contraception.

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Contraception/Pages/IUD.aspx

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Contraception/Pages/IUS.aspx
    its still not a very high risk of ectopic, and less with the mirena than with the normal IUD, because the hormones make conception unlikely, as well as preventing implantation in the womb, whereas the non hormonal IUD just prevents implantation and makes the womb hostile, thereby increasing risk of ectopic i guess.

Ive had various types of IUD/IUS for the last 12/13 years, apart from the times ive had babies, and ive never had a single problem, except weight gain with the Mirena (yeah yeah, not possible, i know, yawn)
    is there a difference between the mirena and the IUS?