Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

i still struggle with...cutting

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i am a cutter and i will always be on and always be labled one. in the past few days i hVE felt the need to cut again. but could never bring mself to doi itt....

Comments

• Options
    Try to focus on not being able to do it until the urges pass.

I don't agree that you will 'always be one', you might always get urges from time to time but plenty of people give up.
  • Options
    i have been one for 4 years
  • Options
    Why do you do such a thing?
  • Options
    i have been one for 4 years

People have quit after longer, but if you just think it's part of you you won't shift it.

I'm not sure if defining as 'a cutter' is doing you any favours, really. It makes it who you are and that's just not the case. You're a person with an identity who also happens to have some problems.
  • Options
    LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hey Uniongal123 and welcome to TheSite,
    piccolo wrote: »
    I'm not sure if defining as 'a cutter' is doing you any favours, really. It makes it who you are and that's just not the case. You're a person with an identity.

:yes: I think Piccolo makes a really good point here, cutting isn't the only thing that defines who you are, and you won't necessarily be a 'cutter' forever.

It sounds as though you wanted to cut the other day, but you didn't actually do it? Do you have some good coping or distracting techniques that you use?

Have you ever spoken to anyone, such as a friend or a family member or a doctor, about your self harming? I'm not sure if you feel ready yet to start thinking about trying to stop self harming, but this article on TheSite might help you to think through some positive steps you could take.

Take care, and please do keep posting :)
    LauraO
  • Options
    i listen to music. i have self injured since i was aboutt 8.
  • Options
    I can't add to what has already been said, but are you in counselling/Therapy? Who else knows you self harm? Mum, dad? How old are you now?