Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

No oily moisturisers

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My skin is naturally oily anyway, and I hate it. If I get slightly hot, or I'm in a humid room my skin just becomes oily, feels horrible and looks very shiny. I absolutely despise it. I've tried various oil controlling face scrubs and once a week I try to use a Mudd face pack to clear up the skin. They aren't working anymore. Especially the oil control Simple face wash.

I know why my skin creates so much oil (sebum is the term?) and that I may even be unable to control it :grump: but I know keeping my skin moisturised by using normal moisturisers will help my skin to produce less oils because it won't need to keep itself hydrated.

Problem I face is non-oily moisturisers. What are some good ones? Any other tips?

Comments

• Options
    The Body Shop does a seaweed moisturiser which is the only one I've found which doesn't break me out in a day.

It's kind of awesome and is only about a fiver.
  • Options
    I'll go into them, was thinking of that place. I was also reading that the Palmers Cocoa butter is good. May get some of that...

http://www.boots.com/en/Palmers-Cocoa-Butter-Formula-Jar-100g_9953/
  • Options
    I found cocoa butter was a bit too rich for my face. I have very oily skin and am looking for the perfect moisturiser. I might try the one Franki mentioned. I use one that isn't oily, but it doesn't stop my skin from getting oily.
  • Options
    Also, try these for during the day:

http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/_en/_gb/catalog/product.aspx?ParentCatCode=C_SkinCare&CatCode=C_SkinCare_Cleansers&prdcode=19364m

This is the moisturiser I use, it's a bit more than I thought it would be but I've bought moisturisers that were double that that did fuck all other than breaking me out:

http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/_en/_gb/catalog/product.aspx?ParentCatCode=C_SkinCare&CatCode=C_SkinCare_Moisturisers&prdcode=32650m
  • Options
    Also, try these for during the day:

Blotting tissues are good, I used to keep an emergency pack in my hanbag for the summer.
  • Options
    I have T-zone skin and I've just started using a Simple moisturiser, it's the "rich moisturiser" but it doesn't have oil in it as far as I can tell. It makes my skin lovely and soft.

The Clean and Clear oil-free moisturiser is really good too, it helped massively in controlling my grease-related spots on my nose and forehead.
  • Options
    I tried the Simple mouisturers before, they worked slightly at the start but not very well. I'll defiantly give these tissues (though I've read they're quite small?) and the other BodyShop stuff a go.

My problem is mostly just the greasy look and feel. Spots aren't a issue anymore. My pores become "inflamed" if that's the right word for it too which I hate the look of.
  • Options
    The tissues are just to soak up excess oil during the day, rather than as a defined part of your skincare regime, if that makes sense. You just need to use them as-and-when.
  • Options
    olay with the 7 added benefits its pretty good.
    2 b honest thou its bloody hard not to have oily skin throughout the day when u have got oily skin, also when u do get a moisteriser which matts the skin it makes my makeup look shit i think the best thing tto do is blot excess oil with tissue paper and gentley reapplie powder throu the day x
  • Options
    I'm a guy, I don't wear makeup (only dress up). I do have some clear matte powder, whatever you call it, but not much and don't fancy putting make up on when I can go without.

How on earth do you use the blotting papers? Just lay/wipe over the skin? I tried that today (bought the makeup free ones) and it did get some of the oil off, but it didn't really do anything really. I was close to wetting it but I thought maybe not, it has no instructions on the box when I thought it might, so I never asked in store:lol: . I bought some of that matte moisturiser too. I'll try using that properly the next few days.

I'll try Lush too, never knew they did anything that specific.
  • Options
    You just dab your skin with them.
  • Options
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    I'll try Lush too, never knew they did anything that specific.

Lush is awesome and the staff usually know their stuff, I had a feeling they did a men's moisturiser but it might not be as good for your skin type as the one SCC recommended
  • Options
    i wouldnt bother with the mens one. Most lush moisturisers are a bit oily i find, but enzymion is really really good for greasy skin. Really mattifies
  • Options
    The one from the BodyShop has worked. Last night I did a little test because I still would create loads of oil during the night and wake up with oily and shiny skin. Woke up and it was dry, clear and matte. I was amazed. I tried it again during the day, it was roasting so it didn't have much effect really, my nose still was shiny by the time I had go where I needed to go. So it doesn't seem very good in hot/humid enviroments. I tried using the papers during the day too when I could, so it wasn't all bad. Will still test it out more and try Lush when I get my money.
  • Options
    Hey My apologies i did'nt realise u was a guy!!!
    I think its trial and error to be honest but its hard to find one thats works for the whole day, i know what u could try thou when u go in Boots go on the posh counters and ask them for some moisteriser samples eg like clinique that way u won't have to fork out lots of money just to try them out if they um and ahh just explain your dilemma (let me know when u find a good one i have been looking along time )x
  • Options
    i dont think a moisturiser is the problem, it is most likely to be a whole skin care routine thing. My skin used to be oil slick central until i started cleansing toning and moisturising. It turns out i have very dry and sensitive skin, who'd have thought!

Anyways try herbalism cleanser, one of the toners (i use eau roma) and enzymoin like scc said....all from the wonderful lush :heart:
  • Options
    Amira wrote: »
    i dont think a moisturiser is the problem, it is most likely to be a whole skin care routine thing. My skin used to be oil slick central until i started cleansing toning and moisturising. It turns out i have very dry and sensitive skin, who'd have thought!

Anyways try herbalism cleanser, one of the toners (i use eau roma) and enzymoin like scc said....all from the wonderful lush :heart:
    I agree with Amira

I love this stuff. http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/_en/_gb/catalog/product.aspx?ParentCatCode=C_SkinCare&CatCode=C_SkinCare_Toners&prdcode=58321m
    Lasts for months and keeps my oily and highly senstive skin under control. Go into Body Shop/Lush and see what they can recommend for you, make take a couple of products but using something on a regular basis might make all the difference.
  • Options
    I agree with Amira

I love this stuff. http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/_en/_gb/catalog/product.aspx?ParentCatCode=C_SkinCare&CatCode=C_SkinCare_Toners&prdcode=58321m
    Lasts for months and keeps my oily and highly senstive skin under control. Go into Body Shop/Lush and see what they can recommend for you, make take a couple of products but using something on a regular basis might make all the difference.

Thanks for this i will have a lookie x
  • Options
    I was looking at that toner too. I already use other toners, but i never got their use. It never seemed to make to make any difference apart from make my skin look red, and actually blemished. I'll try getting some, same goes for the Lush stuff on Monday. The blotting papers are a god send so far, I still am using them loads because the other stuff isn't keeping my skin oil-free/or matte looking for more than a hour on the bus in this heat. /sad
  • Options
    Toners are usually used to remove whatever cleanser is left on your face. Ones with alcohol tend to make your skin red, look for ones without it in.
  • Options
    cleansers open your pore and deep clean
    toners remove excess cleanser and close pores
    moisturisers hydrate and protect your skin
  • Options
    So I don't know if my skin care is crap, but nothing is helping. It's getting worse, and this heat and the amount I sweat is not helping me.

Has anybody used Milk of Magnesium? I've read/seen lots about it and it apparently works wonders. I'm still going to get a bottle somehow and give it a test run.