Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sh

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

i know i seem to be hit and miss with the website so everyone i am sorry for posting the thread!!
i have had two sessions with a counsellor and the second was horrible! i am supposed to be going back soon but i really don't want to go.
during my recent exams i have been extremely stressed and unable to eat/sleep/cope really and today after getting very angry for no apparent reason, i self harmed and it released so much built up emotions.
i feel like i don't know what to do anymore, self harming today had showed me i can cope in my own way.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Counselling is pretty rough but if you stick at it, it can really help. It does drag up some shit you don't want to deal with, things will be said that you aren't comfortable with, but somehow all of that does resolve.

Self-harming won't be the solution forever. It's not a solution at all, really, you know that. It's just a way to get through the day. I'm not going to tell you how or when to stop but please keep trying with your counsellor. After a few more weeks if you really don't get on you can talk to whoever referred you about changing the referral but you have to be seen to take it seriously for that to happen.
    it is just very awkward and i mean it was mentioned last time maybe seeing someone else and starting cbt but i don't know anything yet. I'm terrified to go back and have to sit in that room staring at the same wall again!
    i do feel bad because i don't want to waste their time or whatever but the things is the counsellor doesn't know about self harm. it was an issue when i went last time but not with my current referral.
    thank-you x
    I'm sure they do know about self-harm. Or do you mean they don't know you do it?

Can you write it down? If he's talking about referring you on for CBT it will be definitely relevant so if you can bear to you should mention it.

CBT is better than counselling for behavioural patterns (like self-harm, eating problems, etc.) so if you're offered it I'd really encourage you to go for it.

Any way you can see a positive trend in all this? It sounds like people want to look after you.
    they do not know that i self harm, last time it wasn't such a big thing. and this time i have not told anyone.
    thank you for the advice on cbt, i have learnt about it in psychology but as usual i may learn things but its hard to apply to myself.
    I found it really useful and I'm a bit of a sceptic by habit. Good luck.