Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Jobs for people with no experience

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Employers constantly ask for people who have experience - but where on earth are these jobs for people with no experience? I am not fussy with what work I can do; although disability rules out many jobs. (I also can't work full-time)

I still don't know what I want to do as a career when I finish my degree. However, for now, anything will do. Although I've been told that sales based work (retail should be fine) isn't for me due to my confidence.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Melian wrote: »
    Employers constantly ask for people who have experience - but where on earth are these jobs for people with no experience? I am not fussy with what work I can do; although disability rules out many jobs. (I also can't work full-time)

I still don't know what I want to do as a career when I finish my degree. However, for now, anything will do. Although I've been told that sales based work (retail should be fine) isn't for me due to my confidence.

Temping.

It sucks, but it's just one of those things. I had the same problem when I first started looking for work.
    Cleaning? Glass collecting? Basic catering?
    Temping.

It sucks, but it's just one of those things. I had the same problem when I first started looking for work.

I will try this again, I think. I've had no joy so far.

I spoke to my adviser today and he said there's basically no help for people on JSA until they've been receiving it for 6 months.:mad:
    Cleaning? Glass collecting? Basic catering?

Even some of them want experience. A lot of the problem is that because I don't drive, I'm limited to when I can work.
    Some of the jobs adverts that say "must have experience" really make me laugh. Obviously I get it when its a very skilled job or senior role but when its for the kind of job that a 16 year old school leaver should be able to do it just seems ridiculous.

Temping or volunteering would be a good way to build up some experience, though I've even seen volunteer adverts asking for experience.
    I'm currently volunteering and the subject of experience came up. I was told it's not a problem.
    Melian wrote: »

Even some of them want experience. A lot of the problem is that because I don't drive, I'm limited to when I can work.

I don't know how easy places are to get to for you but generally pub chains and fast food places are happy to take people on and train them up, even if it starts as just pot washing or something like that. I know at my work new staf often have no experience, the managers are more bothered that people work hard and are willing to learn.
    Call centre work, shop assistant, shelf stacker, data entry, security if you get a license.