Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Being logged out for no reason

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in Help Desk
There's a tick box when you log in called "remember me". Despite clicking this, I sometimes get logged out - why?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• patrick*gringo*patrick*gringo* Posts: 147 Helping Hand
    Sounds like it could be some kind of browser/cookie issue. One way to test it would be to download or use a browser that you rarely use. Make sure you've deleted/cleared cookies and see if it logs you out - even when you log in and check the tick box for 'Remember me?". Then it's possible to troubleshoot the problem a bit more.

What browser are you having the problem with?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I use Google Chrome.
    El Gringo wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be some kind of browser/cookie issue. One way to test it would be to download or use a browser that you rarely use. Make sure you've deleted/cleared cookies and see if it logs you out - even when you log in and check the tick box for 'Remember me?". Then it's possible to troubleshoot the problem a bit more.

What browser are you having the problem with?

I get this every time I come back to the forums whether I'm using Chrome or Firefox, but it still remembers my skin preferences, and as soon as I click on a thread it shows me as logged in again.
    I sometimes get that too.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    Clear your history, that does sometimes happen...I've found clearing my history help..
    Clear your history, that does sometimes happen...I've found clearing my history help..

Clearing cached pages and cookies usually helps too.
  • AuroraAurora Posts: 11,722 An Original Mixlorian
    G-Raffe wrote: »
    Clearing cached pages and cookies usually helps too.

Thats what I meant!!!
  • patrick*gringo*patrick*gringo* Posts: 147 Helping Hand
    Hi there Melian - if you're getting what Franki describes below...
    I get this every time I come back to the forums whether I'm using Chrome or Firefox, but it still remembers my skin preferences, and as soon as I click on a thread it shows me as logged in again.

This happens if you use a domain that isn't vbulletin.thesite.org to access the boards. For example, if you log in at vbulletin.thesite.org.uk - it will show you as logged in on any page on the forums - but whenever you go back to vbulletin.thesite.org.uk URL you will be shown to be logged out.

This is a cookie issue - our cookie settings are set to work on the domain vbulletin.thesite.org

If that's not it - make sure in Chrome you've set in Options -> Under the hood -> Content settings -> Cookies:

"Allow local data to be set (recommended)"

If it's still not working- you can try clearing cookies in your browser - or try in another browser and see if you're getting the same problem. In Chrome you could install the IE Tab extension to make it simpler to switch between browsers.

Anyway happy to do more digging if that hasn't identified the problem. Give us a shout.