Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

how much fluids should we drink?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just food for thought as I have my mother constantly tell me I should drink more fluids.
Must admitt I am bit of a sinner when it comes to drinking fluids (I detest H2O so I will be avoiding my dreaded w word).

Its hard to say how much I drink a day for example yesterday I had a sip of milk and half a glass of squash whereas on other days I don't drink anything unless you count the liquid in broth.

I've always struggled drinking fluids unless it alcohol though :D
So my minimal fluid uptake has been like this for ages and I do measure my bodys H2O percentage every so often and in the past month its only dropped 2% so its currently sitting around 34%

Just want to know what peoples thoughts or experiences are on 'abnormal' (as my mum puts it) drinking habits

Comments

• Options
    Most people should aim for between one and two litres of fluid, including fluid found in food.
  • Options
    Eek, do you get dreadful headaches?

I've heard about 2.5l of water in the UK, but of course in hot countries and at altitude that increases to 4l.
  • Options
    Nope no headaches apart from when I don't take a break from staring at the pcfor a good few hours :o

The only 'side effect' I have is a white tongue which sometimes cracks so to solve that I look at a cake or steak to get the mouth juices going -.-

Hmmmm 2 ltrs seems an awful lot mind you a few years back I was doing Duke of Ed qualifier and our instructor made us drink was in our canteens - after 2 gulps I was horribly sick - that taught him I was right to I drank enough for that day :D haven't drank H2O since apart from when there's squash added
  • Options
    It doesn't have to be pure water. From a hydration point of view, squash is fine.
  • Options
    piccolo wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be pure water. From a hydration point of view, squash is fine.

:yes:

I sit with a sports bottle (750ml I think) on my desk which has squash in it and I will drink at least two bottlefuls of squash every day.

I find that if it's THERE you pick it up and drink it, rather than actively going to go and get a drink every time you feel thirsty (I am lazy!). You could try getting a big bottle of mineral water and tipping a bit out and adding squash to it then just keeping it by your PC/wherever you are.
  • Options
    Also don't forget that fluids in food also counts, so if you have milk with your cereal it's counting towards your two litres.
  • Options
    I tried having the juice at hand thing we filled a bottle with squash - I dare not to look in that bottle now- I better chuck it out as its been sitting at my desk since I started this post and I can't remember when that was :o

Good point about water in food - I eat a lot of fruit and veg so I suppose I can make up on what I don't drink there

Don't eat cereal cause I'm diary intolerant even I ration myself to a sip of milk once a week because I love milk :) before I was told I can't drink or eat diary products any more I would have drank a pint or more a day so my fam says but can't remember that far back (over a decade ago now :( ) ohwell I guess thats when I stopped drinking fluids aswell lol
  • Options
    Goat's milk is good if you're lactose intolerant.
  • Options
    Most people should aim for between one and two litres of fluid, including fluid found in food.

well I think 1L is too little. 2L (including food) is the minimum, because that's about the amount your body loses through sweat, urine, lungs (exhaling) and intestines and that's the least you should take in therefore.

dehydration has implications on your health, even long term (kidney failure). When I was in the ambulance, a patient, not too old, was on dialysis, because according to him, he never drank. he just stayed thirsty. Maybe had a glass of water a day (!).
  • Options
    I've always got 2-5ml of liquid nutrition going spare if anyone's feeling dehydrated. Self-service only, natch.
  • Options

I find that if it's THERE you pick it up and drink it, rather than actively going to go and get a drink every time you feel thirsty (I am lazy!). You could try getting a big bottle of mineral water and tipping a bit out and adding squash to it then just keeping it by your PC/wherever you are.

I've found this too. I have a bottle of juice in my bag - I'm more likely to drink more now because I always have that with me.

Since I've started volunteering, I've drank more. Although being offered tea several times a day does help...
  • Options
    i used to be like this and still am to a certain extent - i have to force myself to drink and can quite easily forget to drink anything for up to 2days. Fluid in food does count, but it is also worth remembering that the more dehydrated you are the harder your body has to work to digest it, fluid in the food or no fluid in the food - it puts alot of extra pressure on your heart in particular and other organs. I have been setting reminders on my phone as i am so bad at drinking!