Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anxiety help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well basically I (and others) believe that I suffer with anxiety. I have always had a problem since the age of 11 (im 17 now) but its got worse as ive got older but recently in the last year its got bad - it affects my life every day and it stops me from doing things I want to do. I avoid many situations and places because I dont feel safe. I am always worried about what others are thinking of me. Sometimes in some situations I panic because I think something terrible is going to happen or i'm going to die. I get myself in such an unbelievable state and have panick attacks, even though in reality its something normal that people do. And also I have many phobias - one of them being scared of doctors (and anyone in the medical field).

My mum is telling me that im "screwed up" and she wants me to get help from someone that I need to go see someone who can help me. She's talked about counselling and all sorts. That scares me so much.
I don't know what to do. I definitely cannot go and get help - I know that much!

Thank you

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you go college or anything? If you do is there any way you can contact the counsellor assigned to the college? That way you don't have to go through any "medical people" as such. Counselling is scary in the beginning but once you build a relationship up with your counsellor it can help heaps. x x
    I dont think there is and even if there was I would still be too scared to.
    Professional help would be the best thing but if you really don't want to do that then the best thing you can do is to gradually expose yourself to things you are frightened of (which is what a psychologist would encourage you to do). so if there is a place you are frightened of you have to make yourself go there. The more you can do this the less frightened you will be when you come to realise that nothing bad happens when you go there. Treatment for anxiety disorders is usually based on cognitive behavioural therapy and there are self-help books and workbooks that you can buy to help you practice the techniques at home.