Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Interview tips ?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Have an interview tomorrow to be a Visitor Assistant for an art gallery in Liverpool.

Any tips ?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    however scared you may be, try not to let it show too much- try and be confident. Try and make eye contact a bit when you talk to the interviewer and try not to "umm" and "ahhhh" and say "I don't know" too much!

think of a few things before you go- maybe a time you showed leadership, or thinking on your feet, or a time you dealt with a difficult person. Those kind of questions get asked quite a bit I think.

good luck!
    Think of some good examples of where you've done things that the job description says they want.

Write them down if you have to - don't memorise anything word-for-word, that will show and will inevitably not quite answer the specific question you're asked - but be prepared to work them in.

Above all, don't sell yourself short. That's my downfall in interviews, I forget that I'm not supposed to give other people credit and will get shy and end up saying that my major project in my last job was actually someone else's success.

Good luck! :thumb:
    strenghts and weaknesses questions come up a lot so make sure you have some good answers to them and make sure they are true. In the last set of interviews i did only one person seemed to say thier actual strenghts and weaknesses the others just said things off pat like "my weakness is that i stay in the office too long"....

Also a difficult situation and how you managed it will nearly always come up.

Things about time management etc

Plus probably something about good communication skills
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Hey Mark1984 :)

Not sure if this will be too late and you will already have gone into the interview, but there are some great interview tips and techniques on our other website Lifetracks and an article about preparing for a job interview here on TheSite. As purplehazed has pointed out body language is pretty important in interviews and this is a great little video which explains this, so if you have time do have a look.
    Good luck :thumb: really hope it goes well, and do let us know how you get on!

LauraO
    Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Think the interview went ok. I did well to get an interview it seems as there were 400 applicants.

I saw a sign-in list of people they were interviewing and think there were around 20 people.

Fingers crossed is all I can say !
  • LauraOLauraO Posts: 535 Incredible Poster
    Wow yes that is a lot of applicants, so you should definitely be proud that you got an interview, and if nothing else all interview practice is good :)

I'll have my fingers crossed for you!! :thumb:
This discussion has been closed.