Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Making new friends

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm feeling pretty lonely right now. I'm in a long distance relationship and my girlfriend went back home yesterday so that is making me feel worse but I've felt like this for a while. I just don't feel as if I have anyone I can really call a friend or a mate. Not any I speak to on a regular basis anyway.

I'm quite severely disabled too (I have a condition which causes muscle weakness and I use a powered wheelchair) which I find is a bit of a barrier to making friends. It's hard to get out very much. I do occasionally but I'm reliant on family for transport plus I need help if I need the loo.

I've tried sites for the disabled and met my gf on one of them but haven't seemed to make many friends. There are one or two I instant message occasionally but we're hardly close and they live miles away.

I just needed to vent really, I would like some advice but I just sometimes wonder if anyone would ever be able to help. I hate this :(

Comments

• Options
    hello,

have you tried to see if there are any support groups in your area for people with similar disabilities. Also sometimes local authorities run schemes putting people in touch with each other who have similar experiences. I know that there is a meet a mum scheme for new mothers and there might be something similar in your area as well.

Big Hugs
  • Options
    There is some kind of 'link' scheme that puts people with similar conditions in touch with each other so I think I may give that a try. Thanks Wyetry, I hadn't considered that.

I used to be a bit funny about these kinds of things, mainly because I don't want to be purely 'limited' to being friends with my kind of condition. That probably sounds silly. The way that I've been feeling lately makes me feel ready to do anything to find people to try and make friends with.
  • Options
    its worth a go - plus you could maybe try doing some random evening classes other organised activity maybe something that someone else in your family would enjoy so you can go together.